Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The steering settings for my Q50 hybrid were self explanatory, "quick", "light", "heavy", etc..., but not so much in the Q60. Does any have descriptions on what the new steering settings mean or do? I'm referring to the steering settings for the 'Personal' drive mode settings. Like what settings would I use for the quickest steering responsive but the lightest feeling? And the same question if I wanted a heavy weighted steering with quick steering responsive?

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's interesting Jason. Wonder if the new suspension settings will make things a little unfamiliar to those coming from 2014/15 Q50s with DAS.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I tried reading the old press release for the Q60, they didn't say much about the different drive modes aside from this:

For the highest level of assistance and ultimate sports coupe driving experience, the Q60 driver would choose Sport+ mode with Dynamic+ response.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I tried reading the old press release for the Q60, they didn't say much about the different drive modes aside from this:
I'm glad you found that. I thought it might be my imagination that Dynamic+ steering would round bends by itself better. I even set up the Personal mode this way because of it but hadn't tested it enough to state it as fact.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was going to post a question but searched and found this so I will post here.. I was looking for something similar as in what is the real differences of the driving modes? Not what the manual says and my deal doesn't know sh!t.. Like what is the main difference between the sport and sport plus mode? quicker shifts and steering? anything else? there must be some chart at Infiniti that details the differences.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I was going to post a question but searched and found this so I will post here.. I was looking for something similar as in what is the real differences of the driving modes? Not what the manual says and my deal doesn't know sh!t.. Like what is the main difference between the sport and sport plus mode? quicker shifts and steering? anything else? there must be some chart at Infiniti that details the differences.
Check P. 5-23 in the owner's manual. There's a sticky for the online version in this forum section: 2017+ Infiniti Q60 General Discussion Forum - Infiniti Q60 Forum

·
Registered
95 Posts
As with some things, this may be an oversimplification, but:

Mode will adjust what you're thinking of as "weight".
Response adjusts how much feedback you get through the steering wheel.

Try Sport+ and Dynamic and see what you think. I'm not sure you can choose Sport+ and Default.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As with some things, this may be an oversimplification, but:

Mode will adjust what you're thinking of as "weight".
Response adjusts how much feedback you get through the steering wheel.

Try Sport+ and Dynamic and see what you think. I'm not sure you can choose Sport+ and Default.
So you can no longer change steering speed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still not sure what it all means in layman's terms

Check P. 5-23 in the owner's manual. There's a sticky for the online version in this forum section:

"SPORT+ MODE (if so equipped)
In addition to the characteristics of the SPORT mode, this mode heightens steering response and changes the setting of VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) for a more sporty driving experience. (emphasis mine)
NOTE:
VDC operation is reduced when the INFINITI Drive Mode Selector is used to select the SPORT+ mode (if so equipped). The VDC system may not operate in the same circumstances when compared to operation in the standard mode. To help prevent accidents drive carefully, avoid careless or dangerous driving techniques and be especially careful when driving and cornering on slippery surfaces".

I have read this four times now and I still don't understand what it means. "A more sporty driving experience?". So what, I can more easily toss out the rear end? The steering feels "heavier". I would love to have this explained in layman's terms by someone who knows.

Thanks.

j

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seems to make the steering tighter and more responsive, smaller turn of the steering wheel for a given amount of wheel turn, also stiffens up the suspension, the Q60's with VDC have shocks that have a ferro fluid in them that when a magnetic field is applied makes the fluid in the shocks more viscous and effectively makes the shocks stiffer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Seems to make the steering tighter and more responsive, smaller turn of the steering wheel for a given amount of wheel turn, also stiffens up the suspension
So far so good...

Then you went with this...

the Q60's with VDC have shocks that have a ferro fluid in them that when a magnetic field is applied makes the fluid in the shocks more viscous and effectively makes the shocks stiffer.
This is not correct. Be careful what you read on the interwebs. This sort of describes GM's adjustable suspension system in (I think) Corvettes and some Cadillacs.

Infiniti achieves adjustments to suspension by changing the size of the valves/porting in the suspension. I can't find a really good description, but definitely not magnets and ferrofluid.

Here's a graphic with some info:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here's the similar graphic related to DAS. It doesn't answer the OP's question, but it is informative.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
The Infiniti DDS system is provided by Tenneco. They also provide suspension solutions for BMW, etc.

You can read some more here at this link - Tenneco Supplies Semi-Active Suspension Technology On New Infiniti Q50 And Q60 Sports Coupe | Tenneco Inc.

Taken from the link
TENNECO SUPPLIES SEMI-ACTIVE SUSPENSION TECHNOLOGY ON NEW INFINITI Q50 AND Q60 SPORTS COUPE
Lake Forest, Illinois, March 30, 2016 – Tenneco Inc. (NYSE: TEN) announced today that Infiniti is launching Tenneco´s continuously variable semi-active suspension (CVSAe) technology on its 2016 Q50 sedan and all-new Q60 coupe as part of the vehicle’s Dynamic Digital Suspension system (DSS). The Infiniti DSS system gives drivers the option of adjusting the feel and handling of their ride by selecting comfort, sport or sport plus driving modes.

CVSAe, part of the Monroe® Intelligent Suspension portfolio, adjusts to changing road conditions in real time. It continuously senses the road and driving conditions and adjusts the suspension within milliseconds, offering enhanced ride comfort with outstanding dynamic response.

“We are delighted to add Infiniti, a global premium brand, to our growing list of customers who want to partner with Tenneco to differentiate their ride performance with advanced electronic suspension systems,” said Enrique Orta, Tenneco senior vice president, Ride Performance. “Our Monroe® Intelligent Suspension portfolio continues to gain traction with the world’s vehicle manufacturers with a full range of electronic technology options.”
And there is more here - CVSAe: Suspension Technology ? Monroe® Intelligent Suspension

1 - 15 of 15 Posts