Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So pissed.

I picked up my 2017 RedSport400 a week ago and loving the car as a daily driver. I put 550 miles on it during the 1st week.

My car had a $57,090 MSRP and is equipped as follows:

Obsidian Black/Graphite w/ Carbon Fiber, Premium Plus 3.0T Sport, Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates, Cargo Package.

Car feels great, very responsive, quicker feeling than the reviews state. Handling is not up to par, but i believe that has more to do with the OEM All-Seasons tires with a B traction rating than anything else. Changing to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 Plus next week.

Was scheduled to get a clear bra PPF put on this week and was driving today and a guy driving a pickup loaded with sand in the bed cut me off and was kicking stones and sand at me. I heard the f*cking stones bouncing off of the hood.

Got home and had like 7 little chips in the hood. :crying::(:crying::(

Cancelling the PPF because what's the point.

Ordered Dr Colorchip instead.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Some detail places can touch up the paint. You can then get the ppf put on after the paint has had some time to cure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bad luck man...really sorry to hear that. I have a couple minor ones on my front bumper that can easily be buffed out and whatnot but for the most part i'm going to just live with it since that's the cost of having a nice car as a daily driver.

My first week of ownership I had a truck kick up a rock that chipped my windshield on the passenger side, but luckily it was just a surface chip and didn't go deep enough to start spidering, but it's still noticeable. No doubt it'd have gone out of control by now and morphed into an actual crack if it were any deeper as we've had some low-30's to mid-50s temperature swings here in the Bay Area and i've also blasted my defrosters in these conditions and the chip hasn't budged a millimeter in 2 months. Got really lucky, especially since the windshield (and other parts) i've heard are on national back order...one of the members here that I met at a vinyl wrap shop last week had his windshield cracked (it was pretty major, maybe a foot long) and he still had not been able to get a replacement from Infiniti.

I would say PPF is still worthwhile on the front bumper since that might actually be worse depending on the road conditions you daily drive in...some bumpers can end up looking like it took a shotgun blast after a year or so and can be hard to correct with that much chipping. I'd get PPF on my front bumper but white cars are notorious for showing severe yellowing of PPF after about a year so i'm avoiding it for that reason as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know some PPF shops do a thorough prep prior to installation and this can include paint touch up as needed. Also the new films claim a 'warranty' against yellowing for 7 to 10 years. JeffW12, you might want to shop around and see what is offered in your area. I think it is generally a positive thing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I know some PPF shops do a thorough prep prior to installation and this can include paint touch up as needed. Also the new films claim a 'warranty' against yellowing for 7 to 10 years. JeffW12, you might want to shop around and see what is offered in your area. I think it is generally a positive thing.
Yellowing is primarily a concern only for white cars...even the most modern/latest PPFs (Xpel, SunTek, etc.) will still yellow after a year or so and will be noticeable on a white car. Other colors...not usually noticeable at all, I wouldn't hesitate one second to get PPF on a non-white car.

Source: shopped around and asked the most reputable/popular shops within 50 miles of my area regarding PPF on white cars, they all say the car can be brought back under warranty for hassle-free repair/replacement due to yellowing but to expect to actually have to go back and spend the time to get the repair done because yellowing is inevitable on white cars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jayce...I assume they yellow to some degree on all cars but it is only noticeable on white??? ;) :( Too bad.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jayce...I assume they yellow to some degree on all cars but it is only noticeable on white???
Yes, it is only noticeable on white cars...literally every other color including light grey/silver the yellowing is not noticeable on. I've seen the yellowing first hand on white cars and it's REALLY noticeable.

If it's resale that's a concern or something of the like i'd be willing to bet I could get a complete OEM front bumper replacement w/ paint matching down the line for far cheaper than getting my front bumper clear bra'd and having to be eventually replaced, etc. Estimates I was getting for the front bumper clear bra alone were in the $500+ range.

Luckily though, the grille and fog lamp area of the Q60 are so large that really it minimizes the bumper surface area for any rock chip damage primarily to the area below the headlights, especially since I have my lower lip vinyl wrapped in gloss black. I ultimately decided that I would just do proper touch ups on my own if rock chips ever became that big of an issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jayce...I was mostly just giving you a hard time since I saw you were from the Bay Area! I am an old man with fond memories as an Army officer stationed at the Presidio and later as a student at UCSF. Of course, this was back in the late 60's and early 70's. We even went to the first hippie rock festival on Mt. Tam. Time flies. I love Northern California! :)

I did have 3M Pro done on the new Q60 after a mostly positive feeling of having it on my 370Z. I did the front bumper, 18" on the hood and fenders, mirrors and door cups. I am actually going back to have the door sills and the stylized (protruding) 'rocker panel' done. I can see me scuffing that up like crazy! You may not know this, but old folks have a hard time just getting in and out of these dang sports cars. Time for a Buick! Rock on......

Reactions: Coahman and Jayce

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jayce...I assume they yellow to some degree on all cars but it is only noticeable on white??? ;) :( Too bad.
That was true of PPF a decade ago. Today's films supposedly don't do that anymore. XPEL Ultimate has a 10-year warranty against yellowing and provides UV protection. I have it on my C7, and it's great.

We were undecided on whether to do it on the Q60. Unfortunately, in a month we've already picked up a few small chips on the chin spoiler, which seems to be a magnet for rock chips, so ours goes in tomorrow for touch-up and full hood, nose, and full fender XPEL Ultimate treatment.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That was true of PPF a decade ago. Today's films supposedly don't do that anymore. XPEL Ultimate has a 10-year warranty against yellowing and provides UV protection. I have it on my C7, and it's great.

We were undecided on whether to do it on the Q60. Unfortunately, in a month we've already picked up a few small chips on the chin spoiler, which seems to be a magnet for rock chips, so ours goes in tomorrow for touch-up and full hood, nose, and full fender XPEL Ultimate treatment.
XPel Ultimate definitely still yellows...seen it first hand on some Teslas and multiple Porsches.

Don't get it twisted, today's PPFs are MUCH better than they were even just 3 years ago, but on white cars it is still going to be noticeable as time goes on...you can only delay the inevitable with some clear coating over the bra and meticulous care/regular waxing/sealant and the car absolutely HAS to be garaged for the utmost longevity.

Those of us who have to daily drive and put on a significant amount of highway miles and/or do not have the benefit of a garage are going to suffer significantly more than someone not daily driving their car or are able to drive another vehicle in less desirable conditions. Wet-weather oils and chemicals on the road being kicked up by other cars are a huge problem for PPFs and absolutely have to be taken care of asap...it all amounts to a lot of care and attention involved in just keeping up the quality of the bra to prevent yellowing on a white car. I think it's absolutely worthwhile in the most ideal circumstances, and in others, it's simply more trouble (and cost) than it's worth. Obviously, it's going to be YMMV for everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts