Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2017 Q60 3.0T AWD in December, a little more than 2 months ago. Ever since then the steering has seemed strange to me...it often feels like it's being pulled to one side or the other. I notice this especially when merging onto freeways from on-ramps when there is a slight change in the pavement surface. It definitely feels like I need to correct the steering far more often than I should have to. As I do not have the ProAssist package, my car is not equipped with the direct adaptive steering, which from what I can tell is what a lot of people says takes some getting used to. I'm not really sure how else to describe this steering issue...it just doesn't feel normal.

I've tried looking online for answers but any searches related to "Infiniti Q60 steering" automatically bring up thousands of results for the DAS system.

Has anyone else noticed something similar to this?

-Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 2018 Q50 loaner recently without DAS and it did exactly the same thing. I told my wife that it would be a deal breaker for me if that's how they all are. It was very uncertain on center, required constant corrections. On short drives no big deal but I took a long commute in it one day and found it maddening after an hour or so.

I suspect tires or alignment or both. I would think they can tweak the toe to give it a more steady on-center feel.

Post up your findings.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
It's the runflats most probably. A few other folks have noticed the same thing and I think they posted up that the issue went away after going with non-rf tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Runflats are horrible, can't wait to get them off my Q60. My Q50s had run flats and the same issue until 2 developed side bubbles and one completely blew. They sit in my shed while my Q50 is happy with ContiExtreme's

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's the runflats most probably. A few other folks have noticed the same thing and I think they posted up that the issue went away after going with non-rf tires.
second that.
the moment I put normal tires on - that wandering stopped

Reactions: Coahman

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just upgraded my '17 AWD RS to 20" OEM wheels with different RF tires. I didn't want RFs, but they came with the wheels, so I'll wear them out. The car feels more steady, and the steering is heavier (non-DAS). I did feel the jerky steering that required constant correction with the OEM setup, but it's gone now. I'm not sure if it's the bigger wheels or the new tires, but the car feels way better. I think the OEM RF tires are probably the culprit. I'll be getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ tires next, so it'll probably feel even better.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I wonder if it has something to do with weight then. Because it sounds like people are seeing improvement both by switching away from runflats and the OEM wheels, which are notoriously heavy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if it has something to do with weight then. Because it sounds like people are seeing improvement both by switching away from runflats and the OEM wheels, which are notoriously heavy.
My new wheels are still OEM, so the tires are most likely the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just perusing the site here. I have a 2015 Q50 AWD premium. I have had this issue from day one. I have tried everything.. The steering just plain sucks. I tried different wheels, different tires.. Multiple alignments.. It's always had twitchy steering. Since it seems to be a continuing issue.. That among other things will have me looking at other cars in 6 months when my lease it up. Infiniti didn't seems to care, they couldn't fix it.. So after owning from new 5 Infiniti's this will be my last.

FYI: My wife's new 2018 Acura TLX V6 drives so much better..no wandering tracks straight as an arrow. And it has real leather and lots of tech for $10K less than my Q50

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my 2017 Q60 3.0T AWD in December, a little more than 2 months ago. Ever since then the steering has seemed strange to me...it often feels like it's being pulled to one side or the other. I notice this especially when merging onto freeways from on-ramps when there is a slight change in the pavement surface. It definitely feels like I need to correct the steering far more often than I should have to. As I do not have the ProAssist package, my car is not equipped with the direct adaptive steering, which from what I can tell is what a lot of people says takes some getting used to. I'm not really sure how else to describe this steering issue...it just doesn't feel normal.

I've tried looking online for answers but any searches related to "Infiniti Q60 steering" automatically bring up thousands of results for the DAS system.

-Ken
Yes I have the same issue my wife has a Q 60 sport all-wheel-drive 2014 with less than 23,000 miles on it and we have the same issue I took it to a shop for front brakes I got it back in the steering is so loose I don’t know what to do I took it to the dealer they looked at it said it was fine it’s like driving a boat now I have no idea what to do all the parts and components in the steering seems fine unless their internal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have any problem with the Q 60 sport all-wheel-drive loose steering when it used to be super tight

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2018 Q50 loaner recently without DAS and it did exactly the same thing. I told my wife that it would be a deal breaker for me if that's how they all are. It was very uncertain on center, required constant corrections. On short drives no big deal but I took a long commute in it one day and found it maddening after an hour or so.

I suspect tires or alignment or both. I would think they can tweak the toe to give it a more steady on-center feel.

Post up your findings.
I’ve put new tires on it & steering has been nice & tight & Since I got back from this mechanic the steering super loose took it to the dealer they said everything was fine but it’s not I don’t know what to address in the steering to get it back to nice and tight
Just perusing the site here. I have a 2015 Q50 AWD premium. I have had this issue from day one. I have tried everything.. The steering just plain sucks. I tried different wheels, different tires.. Multiple alignments.. It's always had twitchy steering. Since it seems to be a continuing issue.. That among other things will have me looking at other cars in 6 months when my lease it up. Infiniti didn't seems to care, they couldn't fix it.. So after owning from new 5 Infiniti's this will be my last.

FYI: My wife's new 2018 Acura TLX V6 drives so much better..no wandering tracks straight as an arrow. And it has real leather and lots of tech for $10K less than my Q50
I like the tight steering I’m trying to figure out how to get it back her Q 60 drives like a boat now

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me to reply to this as I have done almost a research in this issue :D

I have the same problem in my 2017 Q60. The problem comes from the tires + wheels.

The OEM wheels are heavy, they used to pull the car for me. I changed the RF tires to michelin sport 4S and I got the same problem.

since i live in snowy area, I got myself 18 inch wheels and winter tires and the car was straight as an arrow.

The problem comes really from the OEM wheels, I tried several tires on them and I still experience the issue but in different degrees (severe vs less) but with less wide wheels the car was amazing.

·
Registered
14 Posts

-Ken
Yes you’ll need to bring it to an Infiniti dealer ASAP for their custom alignment. I was bringing mine to Firestone for months. Turns out they don’t have the correct alignment tool and only Infiniti can do the alignment apparently. $300 later my car whips like it should.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The OEM wheels are heavy, they used to pull the car for me. I changed the RF tires to michelin sport 4S and I got the same problem.

since i live in snowy area, I got myself 18 inch wheels and winter tires and the car was straight as an arrow.

The problem comes really from the OEM wheels, I tried several tires on them and I still experience the issue but in different degrees (severe vs less) but with less wide wheels the car was amazing.
This. I just put back my summer tires (with oem wheels) and immediately started to notice the wandering left and right. Did not have that issue on my winters 18's I just uninstalled. For now I'm fine with it, not a huge deal just a small quirk amongst others. Having a tuned Q with a nice CBE + LDP makes me forget those issues in a heart beat. :)

Btw, my tune isn't done and the car already feels much better than my best attempt at data logging/tuning with JB4 + EWG. Its smoother and pulls harder, especially after Seb tweaked the ignition timings. It keeps pulling throughout the rpm, it really feels amazing. And we're still at "only" 17.4psi/1.2 bar.

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Btw, my tune isn't done and the car already feels much better than my best attempt at data logging/tuning with JB4 + EWG. Its smoother and pulls harder, especially after Seb tweaked the ignition timings. It keeps pulling throughout the rpm, it really feels amazing. And we're still at "only" 17.4psi/1.2 bar.
Seb has by now tuned enough Q50s & Q60s w/VR30 that I'm not surprised your base tune is pretty good. I'm sure a few more data logs and he'll dial-it right in...(y)

Reactions: JonnyB
1 - 18 of 18 Posts