Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking to lease a Q60 RS AWD, but want to swap out the RFT tires with the A/S 3+ before signing the lease. Does anyone have experience doing this? Does it have to be baked into the contract? I am looking at my current Q50 lease and it just says "Return with similar tires and more than 4/32" treads." Basically, I don't want Infiniti to say 39 months later that I have to return with RFTs because those are the OEM tires. If I can't do this, I will most likely go with the RWD version and get a set of winter tires and wheels.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but I doubt the dealership is going to swap the tires out for you. Contracts can always be amended before you sign them if you want to go out and buy your own tires. Also, since the Q60 doesn't have a spare, you'd probably want to buy the emergency repair kit that comes standard with the RWD. It's a small compressor with tire sealant that is stored inside the panel on the left side of the trunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. I would buy my own set of tires and have it delivered to the dealer and have them install it so the new tires are become the de facto "OEM" so to speak. I figure I am going to have to replace tires once over a 39 month lease and 2 sets of A/S 3+ is less than 1 set of the OEM RFTs price wise. I will see if I can have the dealer modify the contract. If they refuse, I guess I should go to a different dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Right. I would buy my own set of tires and have it delivered to the dealer and have them install it so the new tires are become the de facto "OEM" so to speak. I figure I am going to have to replace tires once over a 39 month lease and 2 sets of A/S 3+ is less than 1 set of the OEM RFTs price wise. I will see if I can have the dealer modify the contract. If they refuse, I guess I should go to a different dealer.
If the dealer his willing to install tires that you purchase, they shouldn't have an issue especially if you pay for the installation, unless the shop has a policy against installing parts purchased elsewhere. At some dealerships the service department doesn't really cooperate with the sales department nor does it answer to them.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
This may be an option if you have the storage available. Lease the car with the runflats, replace the tires with the A/S 3+ and hold onto the OEM runflats.

Then get the runflats put back on prior to turn in. The dealership would be none the wiser and they wouldn't care imo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi guys,

I am looking to lease a Q60 RS AWD, but want to swap out the RFT tires with the A/S 3+ before signing the lease. Does anyone have experience doing this? Does it have to be baked into the contract? I am looking at my current Q50 lease and it just says "Return with similar tires and more than 4/32" treads." Basically, I don't want Infiniti to say 39 months later that I have to return with RFTs because those are the OEM tires. If I can't do this, I will most likely go with the RWD version and get a set of winter tires and wheels.

Thanks!
The Michelin PS AS3+ is now available in both std. and runflat versions. They're a popular replacement for the C7 now because the OEM Pilot Super Sport UHP summer tires are next to worthless below 50ºF, unless you're only interested in drifting.

I have a set on my C7 for winter, and they are amazingly good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the run-flats swapped when my RS arrived at the dealership. I made a deal where I agreed to pay half the price of any tires I chose. I went with Pirelli ZEROs, which ran about $200 apiece, so $800 for the car. I'm leasing and had my $400 portion spread out over the 39 months, for an additional $10 and change on top of the already agreed upon monthly payment. The final aspect was that the dealership threw-in the spare tire kit (compressor and sealant) and did the tire swap free of charge.
They want you to leave in that car. They will do something for you. Just be creative and stand your ground.
I still have the run-flats. Put them on Craigslist. $600 for all 4. Not one person inquired. I may try again in the spring, but 19" is a tough sell as it's just an odd size. I'll most likely keep them for the lease return, but have never been told my tires needed to be replaced on any of the 4 39 month agreements I've had in the past. I'm usually right at 30,000 miles and always hold my breath when they do the lease return inspection, as they are always right on the line. Never a word about them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know why people are so anti-runflat. It's an outdated perception that they do not perform as well because of advancement in tire technology over the last decade. The best of today's runflats from Michelin, Pilot Super Sport (summer UHP), and the PS AS3+ (UHP all-season), are equal to their non-runflats versions. The AS3+ is a brand new model, which gets rave reviews everywhere.

Now granted the OEM Dunlop RF runflats are very lowly rated, but I'd be willing to bet that Michelin PS AS3+ outperforms the P-Zero, which is a summer UHP tire. The P-Zero is an older technology tire, which has been around for a long time. They are near the bottom of the ratings list of today's UHP tires. The P-Zero is also really going to suck in any temperature below 50ºF.

Reactions: Nigel

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know why people are so anti-runflat. It's an outdated perception that they do not perform as well because of advancement in tire technology over the last decade. The best of today's runflats from Michelin, Pilot Super Sport (summer UHP), and the PS AS3+ (UHP all-season), are equal to their non-runflats versions. The AS3+ is a brand new model, which gets rave reviews everywhere.

Now granted the OEM Dunlop RF runflats are very lowly rated, but I'd be willing to bet that Michelin PS AS3+ outperforms the P-Zero, which is a summer UHP tire. The P-Zero is an older technology tire, which has been around for a long time. They are near the bottom of the ratings list of today's UHP tires. The P-Zero is also really going to suck in any temperature below 50ºF.
I pretty much was going on the opinion of a couple of buddies who have BMW's that came with run-flats, as well as pretty much every forum I've ever read, lol. Ive never really heard or read where anyone was praising the grip, ride, or noise level of RFTs.

As far as your opinion on the Pirelli's, you get your information from your source, and I'll stick to mine.
Ultra high performance all season tire Ratings

I'm in Maine. Tires have been great in all temps as well as in some snowstorms. I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, you didn't specify that the P-Zeros were all-season versions. That's different, and obviously you're better off this time of year on all-seasons. I was talking about the P-Zero summer UHP tire.

I don't see any ratings on your link, and I'm not registered on the Consumer Reports website. My ratings came from Tire Rack, who I'd trust more than CR. They're not the most savvy performance-oriented testers.

And yes, on all car forums people trash runflats, which has become an "old wives tale" from days gone by. It's no longer a valid perception. The OEM PSS summer runflats on C7s produce well over 1g on the skidpad on the C7. You won't see that result on many tires runflat or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I personally don't mind runflats but I find them noisier than their regular counterparts. It's why I switched away from runflats on my GTR to MPSS and never looked back. The OEM runflats tended to tramline as well for me and I hated that because it meant multiple adjustments on local county roads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmm . . . that sounds more like an alignment issue, which was magnified by the stiffer sidewalls. The more flexible sidewalls may be disguising it better.

Contrary to popular belief, most mass-produced, new cars don't come with spot-on alignments. They get a "quickie" when they roll off the assembly line, which, of course, is before the suspension has a chance to fully settle.

My C7 used to do that on certain roads until I took is to a racing shop w/ state-of-art alignment rack. It was way off even though the tires were wearing OK. Caster, camber, and toe were off. Once set to precise specs, the car has been on rails.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wasn't sure if it would let you view that one page. Bummer.
They ranked 2nd to the Michelin Pilot Sport, but had the highest ranking in the 4 areas I was most concerned with: dry handling, wet handling, hydroplaning, and road noise. Not as high in the braking categories.
I wasn't thrilled with what I've read about the rft in the snow, so my location played a pretty role.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, here are the Tire Rack ratings of UHP all-seasons, and your Pirelli scores #6, which is good. Michelin PS AS3+ is #1, and as you can see, the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 5000s are near the bottom of the list.

In this ratings list, the Pirelli has a worse snow rating than the AS3+ Both Pirelli and Michelin have equal wet and dry handling, slightly higher, but not significant for Michelin.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Hmm . . . that sounds more like an alignment issue, which was magnified by the stiffer sidewalls. The more flexible sidewalls may be disguising it better.

Contrary to popular belief, most mass-produced, new cars don't come with spot-on alignments. They get a "quickie" when they roll off the assembly line, which, of course, is before the suspension has a chance to fully settle.

My C7 used to do that on certain roads until I took is to a racing shop w/ state-of-art alignment rack. It was way off even though the tires were wearing OK. Caster, camber, and toe were off. Once set to precise specs, the car has been on rails.
The alignment was spot on since it gets done very often and all the numbers are given to me before and after...at least once a year with camber and toe-in adjusted. Besides, I wasn't the only one that had that complaint about the OEM RFs. Like I said though, I'm not anti-RF...my experience with them has been sub par.

I plan on keeping the stock RFs on my Q60 after I receive it. I'll decide if I want to switch after giving them a shot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, the Q60 OEM runflats are horrible. See the Tire Rack runflat ratings for the Dunlops in the link I posted just above. The ratings are a little on the scary side.

OTOH, the PS AS3+ runflat scores very well in comparison to the non runflat version, not quite as good, but close. Yes, there are bad runflats out there, and the Dunlops clearly are not very good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had the run-flats swapped when my RS arrived at the dealership. I made a deal where I agreed to pay half the price of any tires I chose. I went with Pirelli ZEROs, which ran about $200 apiece, so $800 for the car. I'm leasing and had my $400 portion spread out over the 39 months, for an additional $10 and change on top of the already agreed upon monthly payment. The final aspect was that the dealership threw-in the spare tire kit (compressor and sealant) and did the tire swap free of charge.
They want you to leave in that car. They will do something for you. Just be creative and stand your ground.
I still have the run-flats. Put them on Craigslist. $600 for all 4. Not one person inquired. I may try again in the spring, but 19" is a tough sell as it's just an odd size. I'll most likely keep them for the lease return, but have never been told my tires needed to be replaced on any of the 4 39 month agreements I've had in the past. I'm usually right at 30,000 miles and always hold my breath when they do the lease return inspection, as they are always right on the line. Never a word about them.
It's interesting you say you kept the RFTs. Did Infiniti explicitly say you have to put them back on for lease return? Or can you just return with the Pirelli ZEROs since that was the tire that was on the car when you took ownership?

And for those that said there is a RFT version of the A/S 3+, I don't see it in the 245/40/19 size. Did you guys go with the 245/35/19?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, you could do that without a problem. I didn't realize the AS3+ wasn't available in the 245/40-19. 245/35-19 is the OEM front tire size for the C7 Z51. It will just mean a slightly skinner sidewall.

I just measured the AS3+ sidewall on the 245/35-19 on my C7 and it's 2 1/2". The Dunlop 245/40-19 on our Q60 RS400 is 2 3/4". It will be fine, just 1/4" lower.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My dealer agreed to swap the tires out for a set of Michelin, free of charge, before I signed the lease.

Luckily, my sales man bought one the week before I did and did not like the poor ratings of the run flats either so that may have been leverage.

Is it possible, Yes. Doesn't hurt to ask. Pull up the TireRack ratings and see what they say.

Best of luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's interesting you say you kept the RFTs. Did Infiniti explicitly say you have to put them back on for lease return? Or can you just return with the Pirelli ZEROs since that was the tire that was on the car when you took ownership?
Well, I actually said that I posted them on Craigslist for $600 the day I brought them home, and that I may post them again in the spring. They're just a tough sell, as 19" is an odd size, with most people going 18" or 20" when putting on aftermarket rims.

As far as returning the lease with non-RFT, I'm not worried about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts