Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Tesla Mark III Group Buy

23K views 64 replies 18 participants last post by  dave 
#1 ·
Guys - Phoenix Android Radios is offering a group buy for their new Tesla style radio - Mark III. The specs are listed in the attached pic. The unit will be undergoing beta testing over the next few months and will be available in late September, early October. Regular price will be $1199,
but the group by price will be $879.99.

Lots of new features in this release including doubling of both RAM and ROM, bigger brighter screen, and all new user interface designed specifically for the Q50/Q60.

Actual screen in testing shown.

If you would like to get in on the group buy, PM me your email address. You will be invoiced a deposit of $250 from Phoenix, due within 2 weeks of receipt.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes. Bluetooth 5 will be fully accessible by all ODB2 devices.

Reactions: TemjinX2
#4 ·
So just something I want to clarify. Frank doesn't sell these units but has gone to bat for the community to help the vendor actually develop and iterate their design over multiple product life cycles (over the last couple years) to make the product more user friendly for us. This is not an easy job (as anyone who has worked in product/software design can confirm) and I think a lot of us have taken the work Frank has done for granted.

I'm in the FB AV group and the FB Q50/Q60 group and I know things get tense there sometimes but I'd like to keep that tension off our forum. I personally am interested in these for my car but have held off purchasing due to various personal reasons none of which are related to Frank.

#5 ·
Thanks man. As you said, I don’t sell these things. I’m pretty happy with how the M3 is headed! I’ll post videos when I get the actual unit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: testrage
#6 ·
Yep, he sure doesn't sell them, but he's going to be primarily who you're dealing with. And with Phoenix's customer service as poor as it is, once you're banned from the page it's going to be extremely difficult for you to get support.

I'll keep my personal dealings with Frank off of the forum, but if anyone would like to PM me I'd be glad to tell you about the ridiculous details. That's just my warning to potential customers as I've seen it happen multiple times on the A/V page. Beware. That's the last I'll say on it.

Reactions: thirty7th
#7 ·
I'm a bit frustrated as I'm on my 3rd MK2 and it's going back again. I really want an MK3 but really don't want to risk having to tear it apart should I have issues again. That said I can replace a unit with my eyes closed lol.

#8 ·
Yeah, there is no doubt that these units have had issues. Personally, I think they tried to cut corners on shipping with the Mark 2, as previous units had a lot more packing. Shipping a fragile unit like this around the world with not enough packing is just looking for trouble. I have been working with Alex since the very first Mark 1, and they have come a long way, but there are still some units that have hardware issues. I wont make excuses for Phoenix's customer support, but they do try to do a good job even though they come up short. I will say this, most people I have talked to have been able to either get a working unit, or get their money back. If you call or write Phoenix, I would suggest asking if they will allow you to return your unit and credit it towards a Mark III. PM me your information, and I will send it to him directly. Out of curiosity, what were the issues with your M2?

#10 ·
Thanks man! I will see what I can do!

#11 ·
#14 ·
Couple of things. There are a lot of different versions of this radio out there buy multiple different vendors. Phoenix is one of about five that I know of that sell a very similar product. The Mark 1, 1.5, 2.0, 2.1 and now 2.2 are all versions nicknamed by people. I will try to explain:

Mark 1 - Initial offering, loaded with bugs and various issues. Phoenix tried to sell a unit that was never beta tested and had many serious flaws. 2GB Ram, 32GB ROM Android 4.4

Mark 1.5 - Upgraded board of initial offering, but offered fast boot, which was the biggest complaint of the Mark 1. There were still some users that had bugs with this unit as well. offered Android 7.1.

Mark 2.0/2.1 - This was an introduction of a different unit, with more eye appealing aesthetics but still the same PX3 Board as the Mark 1 and 1.5. This unit came from a different vendor. The major issue with this unit was screen brightness. 2GB Ram, 32GB Rom. It was recalled and someone (not phoenix) jokingly called it Mark 2.1 and it seemed to stick. There were some that had issues with hardware most likely caused by poor packaging from this vendor, they have since upgraded their packaging.

PX6 Mark 2 - This is what is currently on the Phoenix website. It is the same exact unit as the Mark 2/2.1 but it has the new PX6 board, runs Android 8.1, 4GB Rom, 32GB Ram. I am currently beta testing and so far this is the best version of the unit yet. It is very fast and reliable but as of now, I can not get the bluetooth to connect to my JB4 software. While this unit is on their website they are not shipping. If you buy the unit, please know you may be waiting at least a month as it is not yet shipped the first production unit and is NOT ready if you are looking for bluetooth capability for your JB4/Ecutek software. I will be organizing a group buy for this unit as soon as beta testing is complete and open bluetooth is working. This unit will retail for $700, but Group Buy pricing will be closer to $600.

Mark III - This unit is in development and has all of the features I mentioned in the original post. It has a larger screen than all previous versions, no CD slot, and open bluetooth. It will still have the PX6 board, but will offer 4GB Rom and 64GB Ram and Android 9.0.

In regards to Phoenix... It is a struggle to get them to work with you at times. It is three people, only one of which speaks English fluently even though they claim to be an American company. They are good people. They dont respond well to rudeness or negativity, which they get a lot from the online Q community. Over the last two years I have built a good relationship with them and that is why they continue to support the platform. At one point they pulled the plug on the platform due to the negativity they received at first. I did explain to them that in the US there is an expectation that all calls and emails should be returned timely and while we are not expecting perfection, but we dont expect to be ignored. That being said, they are better, but not perfect.

Going into this with a negative attitude with Phoenix will not end well. They will refund your money in 30 days if you dont like it, and your unit is guaranteed for a year. They will either send a replacement or a new unit, even though it may take longer than we expect in the "Amazon Next Day" era.

If you have any additional questions let me know.

#18 ·
Any update on when this will be available?

#20 ·
Reply I got on the FB page said about a month before the Android 9 version is ready. We’ll see. I’m with you. This is the only real option on the horizon and the stock system is what kept me from buying the car. It sucks beyond belief.

#22 ·
We missed the group buy.

#23 ·
It looks like this may be available to purchase on their website now (can't link due to insufficient posts, but the name is "'MARK 3' 13.6" ANDROID 8.1 NAVIGATION RADIO FOR INFINITI Q50") - looks to be some differences with what was in the group buy though (android 8.1 instead of 9 and 13.6" instead of 13.1"). Did they ship yet - and if so, does anyone have any reviews?

#26 ·
I hope this is wrong

This Android Navigation Radio Can Be Installed in Infiniti Q50 Q60
Model Year 2018 and 2019

Im gonna be heart broken if this is correct. I have a 2017. :(

#28 ·
I got an answer from Phoenix. They confirmed 2017 is compatible also. Crisis avoided. lol

#29 ·
All,

I'm new here - just upgraded from a 2011 M56 to a 2018 Q60. Has anyone successfully purchased and received the Tesla-style screen from Phoenix? I ask because I purchased one back on 11/3 and they gave me the runaround so I finally cancelled the order today. Sucks because I really wanted the screen installed.

Rod

#30 ·
Anyone from the group buy get theirs yet?

#33 ·
Communication received from Phoenix Automotive:
Invoices for the Mark 3 fast boot will be sent out soon but the invoice voice is only going to be for 4 g ram 32 g rom. Let me know if you would like to wait several more weeks till the 4 g ram 64 g rom will be invoiced. The price will be the same just would need to wait a while longer, let me know as soon as possible.

#34 ·
Several more weeks? Thats one slow boat from China

Well H311. Whatcha gonna do?

Wonder what that means for people not in on the original group buy? Wonder when they will start having other units available for sale? I know you don't know.. just wondering out loud. lol

#37 ·
I'll be straight up with you guys. I don't have high expectations for the Mk 3. The Mk 2 and 2.1 were both kinda crappy. The 2.1 glitched ALL THE TIME. It would freeze, boot up incorrectly, have display issues, and was slow AF. Was it better than infotainment? I guess. My infotainment is slow and freezes sometimes too. Aside from it looking much nicer and cleaner, I wouldn't say it was worth $800ish bucks. Maybe if you're tech savvy enough to know how to use the screen builder apps, which I'm not, but that won't stop it from having the software issues. There were also all of these "workarounds" you would have to do to make it play music properly. They were just not good final products you would expect to see from a company that's been making radios for other vehicles for as long as they have. The Mk 3 might be faster, but I bet it's still going to have a lot of the same original problems.

Reactions: thirty7th
#38 ·
I gave up on this. Between the bad reviews on the previous versions, the delay on getting them, and the poor response from the seller I went with a different solution. I ordered one of the units that adds a PCB board to the back of the upper screen and allows you to run it as an Android unit and gives you CarPlay and Android Auto. It should be in my hand by Monday. I’ll probably be able to get it installed the same day. I’ll keep y’all posted. I gave $682 including shipping. I’m in central Florida, seller is in Houston.

#40 ·
I ordered one of the units that adds a PCB board to the back of the upper screen and allows you to run it as an Android unit and gives you CarPlay and Android Auto.
Can you post a link to what you bought? I've been looking for the same thing.

I wanted the Tesla screen too, but researched Phoenix Automotive. Nothing but bad news everywhere you look. Their "F" grade from BBB confirmed doing business with them is risky.

#49 ·
My Phoenix Mark III system arrived from the group buy. Physical quality appears quite good. (Apologies for the awful photos.)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.