Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just couldn't take it any longer, lol. Went to Staples and bought a few iPad screen protectors. I'm pretty picky, and wanted it to look right, so I bought 3 of them. I obviously knew it would take a little alteration, but when done right, with the right product, it looks factory.

I like 3M for anything, so I bought the only one that they had, which was for a mini iPad, so I wasn't sure it would work $25. Then I checked out all the full sized versions. The Zagg invisibleShield anti-smug looked best for $35. I grabbed it, and a Targus for $5.
The 3M wasn't large enough to cover the entire surface, without the little cut-outs where the home button and camera are located showing. I trimmed it to cover only the rectangle where the actual screen is and where fingerprints happen, ignoring the black in the background. Didnt like the look at all. I wanted the entire area, from the chrome trim on both side, and top to bottom, covered.
Tried the Zagg. Material is silicone- like. Too flexible to easily work with on a near vertical surface without getting fingerprints on the underside adhesive. Lots of little bubbles, even when using the squeegee properly and aggressively. Also, VERY matte when applied. I wasn't a fan.
So, of course, the $5 version is by far the best. Material is far stiffer, more of a plastic. Very easy to apply, with basically no bubbles at all. Very clear finish. If it's gloss stock, it's basically semi-gloss now. I've had it on for a couple of days now, and not one fingerprint. So nice.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Lol, I've learned to live with fingerprints and dust on most screens, but your fix seems to work and is economical too. thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Since the bottom screen is the same as the Q50, I think we should be able to use one of the screen protectors for the Q50 Tuff Protect Clear Screen Protectors for 2016 Infiniti Q50 (2pcs) | eBay is an example.

There's many more that are already precut so you don't have to worry about trimming and potentially taking too much or worry than you went 0.005mm off on your cutting line and it's now not symmetrical or even like me. Amazon has em as well

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the bottom screen is the same as the Q50, I think we should be able to use one of the screen protectors for the Q50 Tuff Protect Clear Screen Protectors for 2016 Infiniti Q50 (2pcs) | eBay is an example.

There's many more that are already precut so you don't have to worry about trimming and potentially taking too much or worry than you went 0.005mm off on your cutting line and it's now not symmetrical or even like me. Amazon has em as well
Ha! I had no idea these were available!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I just couldn't take it any longer, lol. Went to Staples and bought a few iPad screen protectors. I'm pretty picky, and wanted it to look right, so I bought 3 of them. I obviously knew it would take a little alteration, but when done right, with the right product, it looks factory.

I like 3M for anything, so I bought the only one that they had, which was for a mini iPad, so I wasn't sure it would work $25. Then I checked out all the full sized versions. The Zagg invisibleShield anti-smug looked best for $35. I grabbed it, and a Targus for $5.
The 3M wasn't large enough to cover the entire surface, without the little cut-outs where the home button and camera are located showing. I trimmed it to cover only the rectangle where the actual screen is and where fingerprints happen, ignoring the black in the background. Didnt like the look at all. I wanted the entire area, from the chrome trim on both side, and top to bottom, covered.
Tried the Zagg. Material is silicone- like. Too flexible to easily work with on a near vertical surface without getting fingerprints on the underside adhesive. Lots of little bubbles, even when using the squeegee properly and aggressively. Also, VERY matte when applied. I wasn't a fan.
So, of course, the $5 version is by far the best. Material is far stiffer, more of a plastic. Very easy to apply, with basically no bubbles at all. Very clear finish. If it's gloss stock, it's basically semi-gloss now. I've had it on for a couple of days now, and not one fingerprint. So nice.
Did you have to cut the Targus?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have to cut the Targus?
I did. If you have an x-acto knife, ruler and some painters tape, it's worth getting. If you need to buy those supplies, I'd certainly look at the ones listed above. What material they are is pretty important though, as far as applying it and having it look great. I mean, I'll take the fingerprints if the trade-off is a bunch of bubbles under the film. Even a few smaller ones will draw your eye right to them. Not an issue with the Targus.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
13 Posts

Bought a screen protector kit for my 14 Q50 back when I bought it, but never put it on. I keep a glasses cleaning cloth in the "ash tray" and wipe the screen as needed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have an infiniti pen that has a touch sensitive stylus.... I also have a microfiber cloth in the tiny storage compartment that works wonders.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I use a screen protector for the bottom screen and it's been great since it doesn't seem to accumulate fingerprints the same way as the actual screen. I use the cloth to wipe the screen down every so often and it works well.

I rarely touch the top screen so I'm ok with having that be "screen protector" less. However, I did originally try installing a screen protector. The issue I ran into was that it made the screen look funny when using my polarized sunglasses. So it had to go.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
It's become second nature. I've noticed improved accuracy and because the pen is so thin, an overall improved field of vision.
I got a stylus a few days ago

Reactions: byanchu
1 - 14 of 14 Posts