Discussion Starter #1
after having done significant mods to my Q60 ( now ~485 rwhp) i’m a little
concerned about the transmission. Everything has to work in harmony and
this tranny is not designed for this. I know that heat and pressure are the
forces that stress components. Until i can get this tranny fixed/fortified by
someplace like level 10 and do some real valve and other hardware fixes,
does anyone think a simple, partial solution could be a generic aluminum
finned fluid cooler. Any significant temp control for the transmission has to
help, right? I am not going to be pushing this hard. But I would like to be able
to do the occasional wide open 1/4 mi.
How would y’all handle your tranny with this rwhp and ~545 rwfp?
I will be installing the AMS CF drive shaft and LSD( when it’s out) if it matters.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
There's a member here that modified and raced his Q60 at a drag strip and posted his times. I'd do a search and reach out to him.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would y’all do to this transmission if you want to support 485 rwhp? Nothing? **** can it and
get a whole new one? Modify it (in what way)? I really need some expertise that I don’t possess.

·
Registered
347 Posts
@Mikesheree where did you net out with this? The reason I ask is because I recently reached out to AMS regarding legit Alpha packages for our platform. Ty mentioned staged packages coming soon, traditional style like Stage 1, 2 and 3 vs. Alpha X, Y & Z with higher HP official "Alpha" packages coming later. This surprised me because I'm not aware of AMS ever doing COBB-like stages. In any case, I can't help but wonder when someone is going to release a buttoned up tranny solution for us. To date we've got:

- Forged internals (Manley)
- Fueling squared (AMS & Nostrum)
- Shafts & LSD (Z1, AMS)
- Cooling (AMS)
- Transmission (Some progress via Level 10 although they don't publish support for it)
- Stock Turbo Upgrades (R/T Tuning and soon Pure Turbos)
- Manifold for aftermarket turbo upgrades (I have to believe AMS is running at least a printed prototype by now)
- Tuning (Everyone)

Once the manifold design is completed we should see some 700hp and higher VR30s soon after. I think 2019 is going to be the year the VR30 ascends as a legendary motor. So anyhow, were you able to uncover any progress or updates outside of what's available on the interwebs?

·
Registered
447 Posts
your going off the wrong number...you need to go off wtq. Torque kills transmissions, but with that said no one knows the limits of the stock transmission yet since no one has blown one up yet. With that said, i'm sure if you dont do a lot of launches the car, you will be fine. Keep in mind, yes you dynoed 545wtq but your not going to be at that power level most of the time driving around town daily driving.

·
Registered
639 Posts
after having done significant mods to my Q60 ( now ~485 rwhp) i’m a little
concerned about the transmission.
485whp?! What the heck are you running?? What psi are you tuned at?? I'm at 18.5psi and just about every perf mod except for the HPFP and I'm only at 403!

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will say I've seen one Q50 sport with a JB4 running too much boost having some weird lagging in the shifts and a poor email Alpha tune on a RS with transmission irregular/erratic responses... that is the problem with generic tunes.

Personally when I do decide that tune my car I'll be working with my local tuner so he can smooth any issues.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Personally when I do decide that tune my car I'll be working with my local tuner so he can smooth any issues.
What other mods do you have (prior to the tune)? I did my mods in a staged approach - FI LDPs & CBE, JB4, AMS HE, AMS Intakes, FI Full (Catted) DPs, then Ecutek (road) tune by Seb @ SpecialtyZ. I then sold the JB4 & FI LDPs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't done any mods yet just bought mine but two friends had issues with theirs. The one that has been the weirdest is the Alpha tune with Stillen Exhaust and Alpha Intakes he is having major shift point issues. The tranny is still working but the shifting is awful right now. He has gone back n forth with Alpha but not yet fixed.

I do have the HKS lower down pipes on order... new product on back order till Dec. I'll get Cerakote Ceramic on it install and then a mild tune... will post results probably in February. Oh and tune will be with Ecutek.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your going off the wrong number...you need to go off wtq. Torque kills transmissions, but with that said no one knows the limits of the stock transmission yet since no one has blown one up yet. With that said, i'm sure if you dont do a lot of launches the car, you will be fine. Keep in mind, yes you dynoed 545wtq but your not going to be at that power level most of the time driving around town daily driving.
Very good points. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
485whp?! What the heck are you running?? What psi are you tuned at?? I'm at 18.5psi and just about every perf mod except for the HPFP and I'm only at 403!
Well, I do have the AMS fuel pump and FI full DP’s with the hiflow cats. This is on
93octane gasoline. Runs just fine. Carbon fiber drive shaft and limited slip
differential go on this Monday and then I am done.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well, I do have the AMS fuel pump and FI full DP’s with the hiflow cats. This is on
93octane gasoline. Runs just fine. Carbon fiber drive shaft and limited slip
differential go on this Monday and then I am done.
I still don't understand how you're pulling those numbers. The HPFP shouldn't be adding that much power, should it? Especially if you were tuned on 93. What psi were you tuned at?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t have a clue. As i’ve mentioned before, I’m not really a gear head at all. Retired 67 year old
guy who has NEVER modded a car. Just playing with it now because I couldn’t when I was a kid.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don’t have a clue. As i’ve mentioned before, I’m not really a gear head at all. Retired 67 year old
guy who has NEVER modded a car. Just playing with it now because I couldn’t when I was a kid.
Who did the tune for you? And you're only running the HPFP and Full catted DPs, nothing else?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AMS performance West Chicago, Illinois. I’ve got other a bunch of other crap installed that i’ve mentioned before.
I don’t understand why y’all think i’m lying. So much questioning and skepticism. I’m outta here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts