Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am totally bummed out with the 7 speed auto tranny. Are there any means to modify the factory settings? Perhaps a programmer, replacement chip?
Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nothing that I have heard of, ultimately getting a manual is where it's at. If it was up to me i'd stick with the 7-speed till a nice manual comes along.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am totally bummed out with the 7 speed auto tranny. Are there any means to modify the factory settings? Perhaps a programmer, replacement chip?
Thanks
You can look into the software tuning companies know as UP-REV and there is also another knows as Ecu Tek, which I think is the better one of the two. with these programs you can adjust different components of the car. I will tell you that its not cheap to have this done. My buddy did it to his coupe and he is glad he did it, key to it is having it tuned by someone that knows what they are doing

·
Registered
108 Posts
There probably is ways to modify the transmission. Not easily, but it's possible. Something you could definitely look into.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It might be the case that modifying the car like this might void you warranty though. That is definitely something that you should consider.

·
Registered
500 Posts
As long as it can be set back to factory settings in the case you need to take it back to the dealership then there shouldn't be much to worry about when it comes to warranty

·
Registered
6 Posts
As long as it can be set back to factory settings in the case you need to take it back to the dealership then there shouldn't be much to worry about when it comes to warranty
with the two programs I mentioned before, you can set it back to factory settings really quick and then put it back to how you had it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
with the two programs I mentioned before, you can set it back to factory settings really quick and then put it back to how you had it.
That's awesome, quickness in changing is valuable since when it comes to getting issues resolved through the dealer it beats having to wait a while just to get the vehicle 'ready' to the dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you modify the ECU with either ECUTek or UpRev (and neither have anything for the 2017+ yet anyway), and the dealer looks hard, they will know the ECU has been modified. Fair warning. I realize the OP may have the first gen Q60. There are upgraded valve bodies, flex plates and clutch packs for the 7AT but that won't change the ECU's shift logic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks
I know this is an old post but I couldn't help to ask why?
I actually own a Q50S Redsport and I feel the trans is so soft and slow to shift. Specially if you're trying to keep up with someone else next to you or otherwise known as racing :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Prior to being tuned, I ended up using paddles all the time and had no issues. Although, keeping in mind I was already used to the slight delay in tiptronic shifting coming from a G37 7AT.

After being tuned. I've been loving it way more and tbh. It's fast as **** in drive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Prior to being tuned, I ended up using paddles all the time and had no issues. Although, keeping in mind I was already used to the slight delay in tiptronic shifting coming from a G37 7AT.

After being tuned. I've been loving it way more and tbh. It's fast as **** in drive.
would you be kind enough to elaborate on that "tuning"?

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Just an FYI on UpRev/tuning, yes, if you do the tune yourself and have the software on your laptop, you can easily switch settings back to factory, BUT, the license being on the ECU will lock the ECU from being modified. If the dealership tries to modify/update ECU programming, they will not be able to do it, which is a dead giveaway that there's a tune on the ECU.

The way to remedy that is to take the license off of the ECU and put it to the UpRev cable prior to going to the dealership for service that may require hooking up to the ECU for any reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had my 7AT tuned for a while now. I actually didn't have much of an issue prior but I understood the shift logic and learn feature of the transmission and adjusted my throttle inputs during the learning phase. I was pretty happy with it.

After the tune, I wasn't as happy with the shift logic while driving slow. Above 7/10th's, it was brilliant. At 3/10th's, I wasn't a fan.

I have essentially four maps on my car. Two are for 94 degrees and below, two are for 95 and above. The two hot/cold maps have different throttle calibrations, one less aggressive and one more aggressive. I now only use the aggressive throttle map which I find works far better with the transmission tuning.

All they're really doing is upping the line pressure. The shift itself is very quick without being harsh (you can actually make it harsh, especially on downshift) as our torque converters have a variable lock. I believe that can also be tuned and I believe mine was.

What it won't help with is the paddles. There's still a delay between flicking the paddle and the actual shift. But the car in sport mode will hold revs higher and it's genuinely peppy with the throttle and trans mods. Very alive.

So I wasn't 100% satisfied at first with the transmission tuning but after having my tuner tweak a few things and me getting used to the new throttle, I'm very much happy with the transmission performance again. For the record, I use ECUTek.

You can reflash the stock map back as di_parts mentioned and you must do so if the dealer is going to update the ECU or TCU firmware.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Infiniti desperately needs to get with the times and utilize a dual clutch system. This is the main drawback of my car after driving 3 different dual clutch systems.
I second this. The 7AT is not BAD as far as slushbox's go; but a DCT would be amazing in this car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting note that Audi dumped the DCT in the b9 s4. As an owner of a B8 S4, those transmissions failed all the time. The 7 speed is not great in our cars but it's not terrible and it beats a 10k repair which was the cost of an out of warranty DCT from the Audi.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Interesting note that Audi dumped the DCT in the b9 s4. As an owner of a B8 S4, those transmissions failed all the time. The 7 speed is not great in our cars but it's not terrible and it beats a 10k repair which was the cost of an out of warranty DCT from the Audi.
Former B8.5 owner here just to note that others to know that the DSG was revised in 2013 to relocate the mechtronics unit resulting in a near flawless system. Yes, 2010 to 2012 units were not the most reliable but after that they are solid.

I wish the Red Sports used a dual clutch system

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts

^^ this. The added boost in power and torque, especially in the mid-range where we all live, really wakes up the car and makes using the manual mode more enjoyable as things generally respond better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts