Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Based on the TSB, will you install the shorter dipstick in your Q?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll consult my dealer 1st

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From a thread in the Q50 forum:

Consolidated 3.0T turbo replacement thread

Infiniti increased the oil capacity by a 1/2 qt. for later build 2019s & 2020 engines.

The TSB allows for the installation of a shorter dipstick (P/N 11140-5CAOB) for the AWD Qs for 2017-early build 2019s to allow correct indication "between the dots/marks" with the extra 1/2 qt. capacity.

I just bought a dipstick off Fleabay for $16.00 + tax (shipped). Note: The older (longer) dipstick is discontinued.

This will make the "official" capacity of my '17 Q60 AWD go from 5 3/4 qts. to 6 1/4 qts. However, I have been using the larger Nissan OEM filter, so add another 1/4 qt., for a total of 6 1/2 qts. :geek:

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
So that's why my level always reads on the high side after service?
For RWD it shows Part Number: 11140-2V70A or 11140-5CA0A

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats interesting, I put 6 Qts in my 2020 the other day and had to put another 25 of a quart in when I got to work. Luckly we have it on tap lol. Didnt know it needed that much.

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
I just phoned my dealer and that bulletin doesn't come up when they use my VIN. They asked for some code from the bulletin but I don't see one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just phoned my dealer and that bulletin doesn't come up when they use my VIN. They asked for some code from the bulletin but I don't see one.
ITB20002 (ITB20-002a) should get them to the TSB.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"Infiniti increased the oil capacity by a 1/2 qt. for later build 2019s & 2020 engines."

I dont get this, so the change affected 2019+ models and yet older models like mine (2017) need to replace the dipstick?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Infiniti increased the oil capacity by a 1/2 qt. for later build 2019s & 2020 engines."

I dont get this, so the change affected 2019+ models and yet older models like mine (2017) need to replace the dipstick?
How about this - "Infiniti increased the measured oil capacity by a 1/2 qt. for later build 2019s & 2020 engines by introducing a dipstick with a shorter length version."

So with the VR30 physical oil galley capacity staying the same from 2017-present, simply installing the shorter dipstick in the earlier models will provide you with the same change as the later 2019s & 2020s.

Reactions: JonnyB

·
Registered
36 Posts
I called my Infiniti dealer. And asked about that. They said $50. And I told her she was higher than a Georgia pine. I will keep my $50 and just add more oil.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Wow, so we've been under filling our 2017 VR30's with the wrong oil capacity for YEARS?

Reactions: DevdasQ60

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I called my Infiniti dealer. And asked about that. They said $50. And I told her she was higher than a Georgia pine. I will keep my $50 and just add more oil.
I ordered one here ($22):

11140-5CA0B

Note: Rev "A" of the dipstick is discontinued, so if you order a Rev "A", the system should fill the order with the Rev "B" version.

·
Registered
1 Posts
whats the part number for the larger oem filter and is that a change from what came from the factory or? also this is required for the 2019 q60 redsports too?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the part number for the larger oem filter?
15208-9E01A
Is that a change from what came from the factory or?
No, it is simply an over-sized filter found on other Nissan/Infiniti engines that has the same physical interface to the oil boss on the VR30DDTT engine as the (smaller) OEM oil filter
Also this is required for the 2019 q60 redsports too?
Not required, but it provides an incremental increase in oil capacity and filtering area.

I purchased through Amazon, but you can also buy it at any Nissan dealer, as well as tuner shops such as Z1 Motorsports:

OE Nissan Oversized Oil Filter, Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60 - Z1 Motorsports

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aren't TSB's covered under warranty? The dealership should not charge for the part and labor. I'll call my SA and check.
the way mySA explained it is. TSB is where enough people have bitched about it. And they made a change. And a recall is something Infiniti noticed. And took action to correct it. I agree it should be covered. But I am literally sick of my Infiniti dealer. So I was just like “that’s gehhy”

·
Registered
81 Posts
How about this - "Infiniti increased the measured oil capacity by a 1/2 qt. for later build 2019s & 2020 engines by introducing a dipstick with a shorter length version."

So with the VR30 physical oil galley capacity staying the same from 2017-present, simply installing the shorter dipstick in the earlier models will provide you with the same change as the later 2019s & 2020s.
Thx for the info - got my new dip stick direclty from Infiniti (couldn't find them online) and indeed it is shorter.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@JonnyB - Good to hear. I will be getting my Rev B dipstick this Wednesday.

The one I originally ordered via Fleabay was shipped in a Rev B labeled package, but the dipstick was stenciled with the Rev A P/N, and thus was the same length as my original, so I returned it for a refund.

Reactions: JonnyB

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: Received the new dipstick today. Looks indeed like it will add a 1/2 quart to the measured capacity.

Side-by-side comparison of Rev A (longer) to Rev B (shorter):

Close-up (taken from opposite side due to shadows):

Check oil level with Rev A (left) and Rev B (right) dipsticks:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Let me be 100% sure I understand? Infiniti has changed how much oil to put in our 2017 / 2018 vehicles. A RS Q60 RWD requirements now change from 5 1/4 to 5 3/4 quarts of oil when doing our changes and thus the stick will show it full? Sorry just want to be sure...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honestly no action is need, so no you do not need to replace your dipstick. The TSB clearly states the following "When replacing a VR30DDTT short block or long block in an applied vehicle for any reason, replace the dipstick with the part listed in PARTS INFORMATION". So unless you are getting your entire long block or short block replaced, you do no need a new dipstick.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts