Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Based on the TSB, will you install the shorter dipstick in your Q?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll consult my dealer 1st

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So unless you are getting your entire long block or short block replaced, you do no need a new dipstick.
You don't NEED a new dipstick. However, if you have a Q50/Q60 built before mid-year 2019, you CAN install the shorter dipstick, add the extra 1/2 qt of capacity to the sump, and be on your way.

Note: The existing Rev A dipstick for the 2016-early 2019 MYs has been discontinued. Along with the Service Bulletin, it indicates the VR30s across ALL years (2016-2020) will now be spec'd for Rev B (shorter length) dipstick. Thus being shorter, it's measured MIN/MAX range provides an extra 1/2 qt capacity.

Why this change? Infiniti supposedly discovered the some of the engine/turbo seal failures were due to oil starvation, and adding a 1/2 qt to the sump level will help address this issue. Is it the be-all, end-all solution, especially for the turbo seal failures? Likely not, but if Infiniti allows an extra 1/2 qt for reliability of the wetted internals, and the engine can handle the extra 1/2 qt of capacity, to me it's a no-brainer to make this change for about $30ish dollars.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts
Does the dipstick itself show you which revision it is?
This is a pic of mine.
Looks like the newer dipstick would say 5CAOB on it (P/N 11140-5CAOB) so looks like yours is the original one (I'm assuming mine is as well).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like the newer dipstick would say 5CAOB on it (P/N 11140-5CAOB) so looks like yours is the original one (I'm assuming mine is as well).
This is annoying I just got my car back after not having it for a month (turbos replaced) and only having the car for 2 motnths total only to find out they don’t kno how much oil to put in the thing smh and to think I avoided brands like Audi and BMW due to reliabilty the irony of it all

21 - 25 of 25 Posts