Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I went to a local cruise/meet and got to know some really great guys. One of the guys is the shop foreman for the local Infiniti Dealer Service department. He let me know that they are replacing at least one turbo a week on the Twin Turbo Q50/Q60 due to the lack of a blow off valve system or recirculation system. He said that the earliest he's seen a failure is at aroung 15K miles, and it starts with a whirring/whistling sound that gradually gets louder. My car has about 6k miles but I would swear I have always heard a slight whirring/whistling sound coming from my car and I think it actually sounds cool. Anyone have any turbo issues/replacements etc?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also - He did mention that there may be a TSB/recall issued soon as I am sure this is a costly warranty repair for them to have to keep replacing $1200 turbos.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I have Lower Dp's in CA (illegal due to smog) should I change it back to OEM before?

will they not honor the warranty if they see exhaust modifications?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,722 Posts
If I have Lower Dp's in CA (illegal due to smog) should I change it back to OEM before?

will they not honor the warranty if they see exhaust modifications?
You may be at risk. If a turbo fails and they can't figure out why, they may blame your mods.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
He let me know that they are replacing at least one turbo a week on the Twin Turbo Q50/Q60 due to the lack of a blow off valve system or recirculation system.
Wow, alot of Silver & Red Sport Q50s & Q60s in and around Indianapolis, and specifically, this dealership, huh?

Did I mention I saw another Q60 in my area the other day, which BTW, was the 1st one I'd seen in a month... my point - the # of Q50s and Q60s with VR30DDTT's is not a high volume. I don't see how this foreman is allegedly seeing all these turbo failures from all these engines from all these cars in the area, unless you got one owner who is going to the drag strip every Friday night and blowing up his turbos repeatedly...

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
Wow, alot of Silver & Red Sport Q50s & Q60s in and around Indianapolis, and specifically, this dealership, huh?

Did I mention I saw another Q60 in my area the other day, which BTW, was the 1st one I'd seen in a month... my point - the # of Q50s and Q60s with VR30DDTT's is not a high volume. I don't see how this foreman is allegedly seeing all these turbo failures from all these engines from all these cars in the area, unless you got one owner who is going to the drag strip every Friday night and blowing up his turbos repeatedly...
You make a very good point. It would be interesting to see the actual data set from Infiniti but I doubt they'll release that to the market.

Btw, the quote does say they are replacing at least 1 turbo...since our cars have 2 turbos...... ;);):laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just asked if anyone else has had these issues. No need for a snarky response or to bash the guy. I dont know him that well, but clearly you have more knowledge than he does.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You make a very good point. It would be interesting to see the actual data set from Infiniti but I doubt they'll release that to the market.

Btw, the quote does say they are replacing at least 1 turbo...since our cars have 2 turbos...... ;);):laugh::laugh:
Yeah... He did mention that if they find that one turbo is bad, they didn't replace both of them.

Reactions: testrage

·
Registered
234 Posts
Spoke to my local dealer and they did mention this can happen and any "turbo car" will start having issued around 50,000mi or so. This is a huge concern for me personally; I don't see what my incentive is for buying this out if I need to replace TWO turbos around that time. FYI he also mentioned our warranties for engine are 4 years/50,000 and may be also covered under the 60,000 powertrain.

If anyone starts having issues I recommend changing back to OEM before taking it in and don't wait for dealer recommended 10,000 oil change intervals

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spoke to my local dealer and they did mention this can happen and any "turbo car" will start having issued around 50,000mi or so. This is a huge concern for me personally; I don't see what my incentive is for buying this out if I need to replace TWO turbos around that time. FYI he also mentioned our warranties for engine are 4 years/50,000 and may be also covered under the 60,000 powertrain.

If anyone starts having issues I recommend changing back to OEM before taking it in and don't wait for dealer recommended 10,000 oil change intervals
Had a turbo issue last week : Sep 1st 2021
2017 Q60 Premium 3.0TT
50,100 miles
Symptoms were smoke at idle after ~2 mins. Occasional smoke from exhausts on acceleration after stop at lights. Slightly higher whine noise from turbos.
I'm a moderate to heavy footed driver. Like the pull of the car. I get <20mpg typically 17mpg if that is an indicator.
Dealer inspected (with rental provided) - Turbo seal issue and oil seen in turbo intake boots. Map sensors coated in oil. Turbos are leaking oil internally.
Code P0106 found.
EM64AA .7 DK12AA 9.5 DE97AA .6
Solution: Replace both turbos under powertrain warranty.
Time est: 5 business days. Providing a rental Q50 while work is done. Est 9-17-21 for return.😀

1 - 12 of 12 Posts