Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2017 Q60s was diagnosed with wastegate rattle and the dealership wants to swap them out for new turbos. Its a $13k job according to them, luckily I'm still under warranty. Has anyone who's had their turbos replaced had drivability issues afterwards? How did the car feel when you got it back? I believe this is an engine out service and I'm a little worried the car may not drive the same after.

· Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wastegates Rattled upon cold starts is normal sounds like they are trying to scam Infiniti for some warranty work. if the replace them good for you and I wouldn’t worry about drivabilty… if anything will be better
Is it true the whole engine has to come out for the turbos to be replaced? The idea of my engine being pulled worries me.

· Registered
533 Posts
I have a '17 as well that had both turbos replaced due to excessive wastegate rattling on cold starts and bad seals. It is an engine out procedure.

I couldn't believe how much quieter the car was when I got it back. No drivability issue at all.

Reactions: Mjolnir262

· Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a '17 as well that had both turbos replaced due to excessive wastegate rattling on cold starts and bad seals. It is an engine out procedure.

I couldn't believe how much quieter the car was when I got it back. No drivability issue at all.
How long did it take for you to get your car back? Any change in the performance of the car? And by quieter do you mean at startup or while driving? TIA!

· Registered
533 Posts
How long did it take for you to get your car back? Any change in the performance of the car? And by quieter do you mean at startup or while driving? TIA!
They had it for maybe 4 days if I remember correctly. Start up was much quieter. Hard to judge performance as I didn't want to push it much until there had been some time for break in.

· Registered
33 Posts
So my 2017 Q60s was diagnosed with wastegate rattle and the dealership wants to swap them out for new turbos. Its a $13k job according to them, luckily I'm still under warranty. Has anyone who's had their turbos replaced had drivability issues afterwards? How did the car feel when you got it back? I believe this is an engine out service and I'm a little worried the car may not drive the same after.
My 2017 had the same issue and dealer swapped out turbos. Was quiet for a while but starting to rattle again after 2000 miles.

· Registered
2017 Majestic White Q60S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 2017 had the same issue and dealer swapped out turbos. Was quiet for a while but starting to rattle again after 2000 miles.
Did you just end up dealing with the rattle?

Engine and subframe are dropped from the bottom, its actually not a very difficult process, a good tech can have that engine out in 4hrs
The techs seemed great at this dealership so hopefully they know what they're doing. My biggest thing is I just don't want the car to feel vastly different or weird when I get it back.

· Registered
80 Posts

I have the same issue whenever I start the car, the first couple of seconds (10-15 seconds) there is a weird sound like a 1970 fridge then it goes away. Is that what you had?

· Registered
533 Posts
I have the same issue whenever I start the car, the first couple of seconds (10-15 seconds) there is a weird sound like a 1970 fridge then it goes away. Is that what you had?
It was a very obnoxious rattling noise that lasted for 20 to 30 seconds. I haven't heard a 1970's fridge in about 30 years, so I can't really compare the two. 😂

· Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,511 Posts
I have the same issue whenever I start the car
I could hear a metalic rattle/jingle when I was inside the house when I remote started the car in the garage. It's probably the waste gates as exhaust bypasses the turbos for around the first 25 seconds of a COLD start.

Reactions: Omenx
1 - 16 of 16 Posts