Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sitting under the bonnet of both the 2016 Infiniti Q50 sports sedan and the 2017 Q60 coupe is Infiniti’s new 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6, codenamed VR30, and they have announced the start of production at the Iwaki plant in Japan.

This new engine was developed by Shosaku Ando, chief powertrain engineer, to be the lightest, cleanest, and most powerful and fuel efficient V6 engine that Infiniti has ever offered to the global market. Only Q60 Coupes with the Red Sport performance trim will be equipped with this engine and it will produce an output of 400hp and maybe around 350 lb-ft of torque, similar to that of the Q50.

Pushing the turbocharger’s turbine speed up 10% to 220,000rpm is a bespoke turbine speed sensor along with an updated turbine blade design and keeping the induction temperatures in check is a second water pump in the cooling circuit.

Not only is the horsepower impressive but so is the technology built into this engine. According to AutoGuide, these features include “integrated exhaust manifolds ensure its catalysts fire off quickly and help the engine warm up in frigid temperatures, gasoline direct injection cuts fuel consumption, electrically actuated variable valve timing responds quicker than hydraulic systems and is more efficient, the cylinder walls even have a thermal-arc spray treatment, which results in a “mirror bore coating” that reduces piston friction by 40 percent.”

The first model to get this new engine will be the Q50 and the Q60 Red Sport will come after that though no specific date has been released.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's a pretty exciting engine for the brand, and I'm glad its both powerful and efficient. It even look cool. Owners will be looking for every chance they can get to pop up the hood and show others.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I like what i'm hearing about the engine being easier to warm up in those extreme's but I think i'll still end up using thicker engine oil, anything to make the process easier on the engine and to ensure longevity.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well the Q50 with this engine is supposed to come out this year, I think. so hopefully not too long of a wait for the Q60 version. Maybe it'll be released with the non red performance Q60 models.

I want to test out that class-leading throttle response on the highway.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If anything the Q60 has more potential for this to happen since typically coupes get more of a crowd that's serious about performance, but that all depends on what Infiniti's buyer demographic for performance is like or ends up being like since brands like BMW have had good luck selling M3 sedans.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What do you guys think the tuning potential for this engine will be? It's new so it'll take the aftermarket a while to catch up but do you think it can hit 450hp?

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's tough to say but typically going up in performance by 15% is a good rule of thumb, at that point you won't be asking for too much and at the same time get a noticeable difference in performance. Good for the average street application.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Really hard to tell with a new engine. For all we know, that 400 hp is already pushing the limits of that engine and tuning it for additional performance won't do much.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well typically car makers don't push engines that hard from the factory, they do have to factor in reliability so who knows there might be room for someone to add another 100HP or something. Hard to say really.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Could potentially overheat the engine if someone does decide to tune it for more power. What does the integrated exhaust manifolds do besides warm up your car faster and fire off your catalysts quicker?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Maybe a tune with smaller power increase wouldn't overheat the engine. Infiniti already factored in that by adding a second water pump.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Overheating the engine takes some doing and that won't be a typical thing to do unless someone is asking to increase power by 30-40% or more, but that's something i can't see happening any time soon. Even if someone goes to those extreme's, more tuners know better, especially when you have someone with a car this expensive and spending the kind of money to get that much power. You don't go to just anybody.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Never really tuned anything so I wouldn't know how much more power you can get without causing reliability issues. I'm more of a stock person.
I'm thinking about the fuel economy of this engine with the gasoline direct injection since it's said to improve mpg. Always exciting to get more power and be able to travel farther on one tank of gas.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Never really tuned anything so I wouldn't know how much more power you can get without causing reliability issues. I'm more of a stock person.
I'm thinking about the fuel economy of this engine with the gasoline direct injection since it's said to improve mpg. Always exciting to get more power and be able to travel farther on one tank of gas.
what sort of fuel economy numbers are you looking to get on the street and highway?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm curious about the mpg as well. I'd say a few extra mpg city/hwy is expected (2-3) but more would be amazing too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Specific fuel economy ratings have not been released for the 3.0-Liter Twin-Turbo V6 engine yet and we won't see much about it until we're closer to the Q60 release date. Can't really used the Q50 numbers as a basis since it has a different body which will affect fuel consumption.

We should be expecting something better than the 17/25 City / Highway rating of the current Q60S coupe 6MT but that's just an assumption.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well the TT V6 Engine is supposed to be more fuel efficient so the ratings should be better than the Q60S but not sure by how much. 17mpg city seems pretty bad in this day and age where fuel economy is at the forefront of the buyer's mind.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What octane level do you think the new V6 engine will run on? The highest I can get at the average gas station is 94.
i can't imagine it needing more than 91 octane, I noticed that these days car makers are getting better at coming out with cars that require lower octane of gas. It benefits them more to sell these as every fill up is that much cheaper, taking away one reason that'll discourage someone from getting it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts