Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys -

Hoping someone can help me. I dropped some music on a USB drive and it worked great. Yesterday, I decided to add more music and when I got in the car, and plugged in the USB I saw all of the old music but none of the new music listed. I checked the USB on my PC and it has all the music. I have less then 5000 files (way less I think) on the USB drive.

So, questions:

* Any idea why this is happening? It is reading and playing the original music I put on it just fine. Just not reading the new stuff. Same format, same organization.
* After about 30 secs I switched to XMRadio. Do I need to let the infiniti system re-read and catalogue the music? Does this take time and I didnt allow enough time? On the way home from work I can leave the USB in longer. No warnings came up.. no messages .... no indication it was re-cataloguing music.

Dave

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Does the USB drive have anything other than music on it? We're all the new music files in MP3 format? I vaguely recall having a music folder where one song was in OGG format and it skipped the whole folder like it couldn't read the entire directory so it refused to play anything in the directory. It was weird.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically, I downloaded a bunch of music 2 months and it reads and plays it just fine. Last night downloaded another 10 or albums/artists and it is ONLY NOT reading those new additions. Odd. So I dont think it is skipping them because file format, etc.. I wonder how long it takes for the car to read the USB the first time it is plugged in to catalogue music and maybe pulling stick out after 30 sec (and in frustration) wasnt long enough. Who knows.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved my own problem. Basically, the usb drive takes time to re-catalogue the music. So some buttons were grayed out. You need to leave USB in for it to complete it. While it worked, the file organization and structure is a complete mess. Infiniti's system strip the parent folders and lists things by date when written to USB. After much time and frustration and I said screw it and went and bought a new, 8th Gen ipod nano and I love it with the car. I can create playlists, use voice recognition to say "Play iPOD Artist Pink Floyd" etc and it executes those commands. The file structure is very user friendly and has more options than the USB. If you have a lot of music, consider the ipod over USB. USB has a 5000 file/song limit...not sure if that applies to ipod.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Good to know. Haven't run into any limitations but I am using Bluetooth to connect my 32 Gig device.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I've got a 32gb usb drive with folders setup by music genre per my tastes. I don't know if I've hit the 5,000 song limit yet but I haven't run into any issues so far. I just added a bunch of new music on Thursday before a drive to Knoxville and it seemed to show up fairly quickly. If things degrade for me, I'll probably switch to use the BTA source full time. The system had no issues reading my phone yesterday and even ported over the amped up sound from PowerAMP (which I have installed on my phone).

I'm not an Apple fan (not saying anything good or bad here), so I'd prefer to avoid having to go the ipod route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts