Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, this is only the 2nd time in 6 months that I've seen the exhaust smoking like this. I drove the car for about 30 minutes, then it sat for an hour, before I remote started it before leaving again. This was after running for about 12 minutes. It smoked at about this level for a few blocks too once I started driving. I have not been able to get this to happen again. Going to the dealer on Friday though to get it documented and have them look at some things.

Wondering if adding an oil catch can would help since this is so intermittent?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,722 Posts
How many miles on the clock? Any engine/fuel system mods?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Does the exhaust smell sweet (coolant)? Or like oil (turbo seals)? Or no smell (fuel injection), unless the DPs are not catted?

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
58k miles on the clock. No engine/fuel system mods. Stock DP's. Did not smell like coolant. Very slight oil smell. Smoke did not get worse when driven, but disappeared after a block or two.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,722 Posts
Smoke did not get worse when driven, but disappeared after a block or two.
You might be burning off any oil that's collecting in the exhaust system which should not be in there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might be burning off any oil that's collecting in the exhaust system which should not be in there.
So is that something an oil catchcan would help with or does that really only help with preventing blowby from getting to the inlet side of things?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
So is that something an oil catchcan would help with or does that really only help with preventing blowby from getting to the inlet side of things?
The OCC, at least the Mishimoto brand for the VR30s, intercepts the PCV vapors going back to the intake manifold. and is meant to trap heavier oil vapor from the cylinder heads to prevent re-burning in the engine, as intended for emissions control.

The OCC will trap oil vapor, unburned fuel, and water vapor. It an endless argument on Direct Injection vehicles if installing a OCC will reduce/eliminate carbon deposits on intake valves.

On my Q60, I drain the Catch Can at every oil change (5k intervals), and it captures about 20-30 ml of mostly oil (vapor) with a smell of fuel.

In comparison, for my recently sold Audi A4 Allroad w/2.0 TFSI, it captured more water vapor and some oil vapor. I installed it to keep the yellowish puke from coating my new (at the time) larger Air-to-Air IC & Piping:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,722 Posts
IMO the car shouldn't smoke, period. Owners shouldn't have to fix a problem by installing a OCC, if it even solves the smoking issue.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
IMO the car shouldn't smoke, period. Owners shouldn't have to fix a problem by installing a OCC, if it even solves the smoking issue.
^This. My bet is turbo oil seal(s).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^This. My bet is turbo oil seal(s).
That's what I was thinking too, but it's so intermittent that I doubt the dealer will be able to replicate it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,722 Posts
That's what I was thinking too, but it's so intermittent that I doubt the dealer will be able to replicate it.
Maybe they can inspect the turbos. You can certainly show them your video.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Maybe they can inspect the turbos. You can certainly show them your video.
The dealership needs to spend about an hour loosening the turbo-to-IC couplers and checking the compressor outlets for oil film. Usually if the oil seals (start to) go, the boost pressure will finely distribute the oil vapor in the outlets, throttle bodies, and finally the intake plenum.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I emailed my service advisor the video the other day and spoke to him today, he said they will go through it all to get a diagnosis tomorrow.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer could not replicate the issue and found nothing. No signs of oil anywhere it shouldn't be, injectors are good, throttle bodies are clean, turbo seals good.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this has become less intermittent. Smoking again yesterday at a drive thru, and again today several times. Off to a different dealer, recommended by a large Midwest Q50 group, for troubleshooting.

Installed AMS intakes today and there was a thin film of oil noticeable on the driver's side turbo inlet and a film with some droplets visible on the passenger's side inlet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tech at the dealership was able to see it smoking while I left it idling during the paperwork writeup. He immediately said that I'll be getting new turbos and they'll know if there is anything else to be replaced when they get in there.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Reactions: NINaudio

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now you are getting somewhere...
Yes definitely. The Service Manager at this dealer is also quite active in the Q50/Q60 community, so that's a big plus in my book too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was updated today that oil was found in the downpipes and that the new turbos came in. Engine compression test shows no issues with the engine. Turbo replacement will be started tomorrow. Should have the car back early next week.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,722 Posts
Was updated today that oil was found in the downpipes
You should give the first shop an update and tell them to do better

Reactions: IridiumRS400
1 - 20 of 36 Posts