Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a color match cross reference for vinyl wraps? I have a Liquid Platinum (K23) RS400 Q60 with all the carbon fiber modifications. I have also had the lower front lip, the side window trim, and the door handles wrapped in gloss black. I am interested in "chrome deleting" the front grill trim to reduce the visual aspect of the grill. Quite frankly, it is just too big for the size of the car and the large chrome bezel accentuates it, but maybe I'm just use to my old G35. I have contacted several vinyl wrap distributers but no one could specifically state that K23 is a match for any particular silver colored film by any manufacturer.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have been doing the same but with a pure white Q60 RS. I suggest going with black gloss on the chrome since you already have the carbon fiber and the lip wrapped gloss black. It will look great!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I appreciate your input, and I strongly considered the "black grille look," but I felt that having a black bezel would make the grill look larger, not smaller. My intention was to reduce the visual impact of the unusually large grille on the Q60. If you look at all the other Infiniti cars the size of the grille is reasonably proportional to the rest of the vehicle, except for the Q60. It's too darn big. (At least it is not as bad as the Lexus bottom-sucking-fish-grille. For fun you should Google "Ugly Lexus Grille" for the background story of the grille and its designer.) I actually purchased a 2017 Q60 OEM Black Sport Grille (WITH Tech Pkg, ICC) F2310-5CB1A and was surprised to find out that it was just a standard chrome Q60 grille with a thin coat of black paint. I get the impression that this is how the designers at Nissan/Infiniti operate. The build a car with too much chrome and then back off on the chrome during the succeeding years. Case in point: My old 2007 Nissan Armada had monstrously large front and rear chrome bumpers, while the Infiniti QX56 (now QX80) had color coordinated bumpers. Over the years, Nissan slowly decreased the chrome of the Armada until it was nearly without chrome like the QX56.

Trying to match your pure white paint is probably as difficult as matching the silver. I have a white QX60, it is became rapidly obvious that there are many different shades of white.

If anyone has a suggestion about the cross reference for the vinyl wrap K23 Liquid Platinum, I would love to hear about it. Meanwhile, I have ordered six different small sample wrap pieces from MetroStyling.com .

·
Registered
591 Posts
The thing about manufacturer paints is that they're hard to match on a normal day if you want some corrective paint for small scratches, vinyl is probably going to be even harder.

Let us know how those samples work out, maybe one of them will come close to Liquid Platinum.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have already purchased the black grille and surround bezel combination, but it was not the look I was going for. The black bezel tends to accentuate the size of the grill. I did buy a bunch of silver metallic vinyl wrap samples, hoping to match the Silver Platinum K23 paint, but to no avail. It's amazing how many variants there are of metallic silver, and some samples look OK under artificial lighting, then look completely different under natural lighting. I can't find a good match.

Now I am back to square one, and I am attempting to use the Dupli-Color matching paint and subsequent clear coat on an extra bezel that I purchased. (Unfortunately, you have to buy the entire grille and bezel together.) I am known to be the world's worst painter, and I have made several attempts already but the results were not great. I followed the Dupli-Color "Spraying Tips" with regard to number of coats, time between coats, thickness, wet sanding, etc., but the paint never seems to fully harden. It dries, and you can handle the bezel, but the surface is obviously not as hard as the OEM paint job. So I am back to wet sanding the bezel back down to the plastic chrome again. I'll to make the coats thinner. I tend to think that the color match may be the easy part. I've seen the printed grille replacement procedure from Infiniti. It seems like you have to almost remove the entire front fascia to replace the grille.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Maybe you need to add a top-coat after painting the bezel to harden it? Just a suggestion as I've never spray painted a car part before.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far the vinyl wrapped window molding has not loosened or peeled, but it has only been 10 days. I have had to work on the underside of the front lip wrap. There was some lifting on the bottom where you normally don't look. I don't know the reason for the lifting since I am not experienced at doing the wrapping process.

I would be interested to know how the permanency of the vinyl wrap compares to the spray-on Plasti-Dip. The Plasti-Dip certainly appears to conform more easily to complex curves. I just don't know if it is better at resisting rocks and lifting from turbulent air flow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So far the vinyl wrapped window molding has not loosened or peeled, but it has only been 10 days. I have had to work on the underside of the front lip wrap. There was some lifting on the bottom where you normally don't look. I don't know the reason for the lifting since I am not experienced at doing the wrapping process.

I would be interested to know how the permanency of the vinyl wrap compares to the spray-on Plasti-Dip. The Plasti-Dip certainly appears to conform more easily to complex curves. I just don't know if it is better at resisting rocks and lifting from turbulent air flow.

You will need to post heat to prevent lifting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Go with gloss black. We can be twins!
If it wasn't for the grille connecting to the headlights, I bet that gloss black wouldn't look nearly as good. Just goes to show how good this design is. They really hit it off here. Just when I thought the Q50 was good, Q60 crushed it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it wasn't for the grille connecting to the headlights, I bet that gloss black wouldn't look nearly as good. Just goes to show how good this design is. They really hit it off here. Just when I thought the Q50 was good, Q60 crushed it!

I went with matte black for the grille. I like it as it complements the gloss black car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts