Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good recommendation for a brush or other tool to wash the wheels and brake calipers with on the RS?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Done this to several Infinitis after purchasing to get the wheels and calipers looking good and easy to clean going forward.
After a good wash, put a coat of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. After wiping off the polish, spray with Meguiars Ultimate Detailer. Spray a coat of Meguiars brake dust barrier. Going forward after washing car, i simply would spray the Ultimate Detailer and and could wipe off the dirt and brake dust easily off the wheels and calipers.

·
Registered
591 Posts
How detailed is your wheel cleaning. Heard Daytona Speed Master Brushes are good for wheels, they're nonabrasive and soft for getting into those wheel niches. Horse hair brush is good for the larger are of the rim.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How detailed is your wheel cleaning. Heard Daytona Speed Master Brushes are good for wheels, they're nonabrasive and soft for getting into those wheel niches. Horse hair brush is good for the larger are of the rim.
Just looking for something easy and effective, especially something that will reach the calipers

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you're super crazy about it like I am, there are never enough brushes lol. Start with some long haired - hog hair brushes, then the regular set of 3 wheel woolies (different sizes), and a spoke brush that you can bend, to get behind the spokes. Main thing is get a good wheel cleaner. Something like Sonax and some Iron-X for extra oomph.

There definitely isn't something "easy" to ensure proper cleaned calipers and wheels. To get those specifically, a hog hair brush like mentioned and some real good wheel cleaner. May need to apply twice depending on how long they've been left dirty and level of dirt.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Admittedly, I'm pretty lazy so most of the time the wheels get a good hosing and that's pretty much it. Probably best to get a spoke brush and one large area brush fro the main area and call it a day.

@Prestige what cleaners do you use?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I typically use Sonax wheel cleaner but if the wheels are really soiled, I'll do sonax first, brush them as best as I can and then pressure wash them off, and follow up with iron X focusing on the tough spots and brush them a bit more and hose them off again. I'm a huge detailing junkie lol.

Sometimes, depending on level of dirt, I'll spray on Sonax first, let it sit, and then spray on some all-purpose cleaner and do the brushing first.

·
InfinitiQ60.org Vendor
769 Posts
Done this to several Infinitis after purchasing to get the wheels and calipers looking good and easy to clean going forward.
After a good wash, put a coat of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. After wiping off the polish, spray with Meguiars Ultimate Detailer. Spray a coat of Meguiars brake dust barrier. Going forward after washing car, i simply would spray the Ultimate Detailer and and could wipe off the dirt and brake dust easily off the wheels and calipers.
I would advise on using Mag & Aluminum Polish as it is for raw aluminum like your exhaust tips. Wheels usually have a clear coat over them from factory. Only time you would use this is if you did a full polish finish without clear coat whether is a 3 piece wheel lip or the whole wheel.

I've seen so many people ruin their wheels with aluminum polish.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry - late to the thread... but I've use these and they seem to do a decent job.

Griot's Garage (11230) Chrome Wheel Cleaning Kit - 22 fl. oz.
Griot's Garage 15736 Long Reach Wheel Brush - Set of 3
EZ Detail Brush Big or Speed Master Wheel Brushes - good for getting into the large area behind the spokes/calipers

Looking to add a lug nut brush - ??

Suggestions and comments welcome! Love washing this car. The wheels seem to take longer than any other car I've owned - but they're worth it!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
If we're talking about cleaning the fatory 19's the answer is there is NO perfect solution hahah those freaking 15 spoke 60lbs factory wheels SUCK when cleaning. In all honesty cleaning ease was a significant factor when I chose to swap out to the RF2's.

When I clean my wheels/cals/rotors I just wash them prior to the car with a seperate sponge a bucket. Afterwards I sacrifice a few microfiber towels to the car gods and detail each corner with a little quick detailer. But that's probably only every other washing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That's so funny of a comment. When I read the posts about upgrading to some great looking and light weight wheels, my only thought is are they easier to clean then the basic Red Sport wheels Hahha!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I might start washing my car after reading this thread

Reactions: Coahman

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, on a serious note - since I am as close to being the laziest person on the face of the Mather Earth - here what I have been doing since alloy wheels became fancy and covered with clear coat.

one word: RainX

That is it.

I thoroughly wash wheels and calipers, let them dry or pressure air dry if in a hurry, apply RainX to rims and enameled calipers and voila - next time just apply good water pressure and all is perfectly clean. For tires - 3M restorer/conditioner - non greasy, gives deep black non-shiny color.

Leather inside - I am not messy, no food, no coffee inside, just some vomit from occasional sea sick passenger - but Lexol or Blue Magic work for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts