Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just passed my break in period on 2017 Q60 RS400 at 1500 miles. Purchased the vehicle a month ago.

I was driving about 75 mph in automatic, standard mode, about 2500 RPM on the Tachometer.

I pushed the throttle all the way down, and the transmission did a loud nasty clumpy shift. It was like a loud thunk as if the whole car was being kicked. It was an instantaneous thing that lasted a second, no power lag, no loss of acceleration, no delay. It almost felt like the auto transmission was shifting from gear 6 to 7 and forgetting to use the clutch.

Was able to reproduce it 2 more times with the same parameters. I am too scared to try that again. Of note, I have experienced no other problems or issues with the transmission and have done fast launches, high RPMs, etc since the break in period.

Has anyone else experiencing similar issues or any issues at all with the transmission?

·
Registered
44 Posts
im sorry to hear that man :/
My RS400 seemed to break in just fine and I havent had any transmission issues with it and I feel like most of the guys on here have had fairly smooth break in periods.
You should get it checked up and keep us updated!
Best of luck to you bro

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Since you can reproduce it I'd take it to the dealership.

Reactions: saboxerman

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like it's the diff clunking on it or something rear end related. Definitely take it straight to the dealership and get it dealt with asap. You don't want a worn transmission to be cause of anything else needing to be changed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here is an update for everyone that is following this thread.

Took the car to the dealership. Went on a ride with the service technician and we couldn't reproduce the problem.

Went home and drove it around for a few more days, no problems.

Today I was driving it with the same parameters...about 70-75 MPH and hit the throttle and it happened again.

It was a very rough shift. Not quite as bad as before but very annoying and enough to make me go "ouch".

What I neglected to mention in my initial post is that I had a Stillen CAI installed because I didn't even think it mattered.

This leads to the discussion I had with the lead service technician. He made mention of my aftermarket Stillen CAI. He brought up the fact that these Stillen CAI have been causing problems with the rough transmission shifts and strongly advised me to remove it and install the stock Intake. He also advised me in as nice of a way as possible that should anything happen to the transmission, Infiniti may not honor the warranty. This is if they determine that the CAI is directly responsible for the transmission damage. He strongly encouraged me to remove the aftermarket intake and replace it with stock intake so that I would not risk my warranty.

I am on the verge of listening to his advice and returning to stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Took the car to the dealership. Went on a ride with the service technician and we couldn't reproduce the problem.

Today I was driving it with the same parameters...about 70-75 MPH and hit the throttle and it happened again.

It was a very rough shift. Not quite as bad as before but very annoying and enough to make me go "ouch".

What I neglected to mention in my initial post is that I had a Stillen CAI installed because I didn't even think it mattered.

This leads to the discussion I had with the lead service technician. He made mention of my aftermarket Stillen CAI. He brought up the fact that these Stillen CAI have been causing problems with the rough transmission shifts and strongly advised me to remove it and install the stock Intake. He also advised me in as nice of a way as possible that should anything happen to the transmission, Infiniti may not honor the warranty. This is if they determine that the CAI is directly responsible for the transmission damage. He strongly encouraged me to remove the aftermarket intake and replace it with stock intake so that I would not risk my warranty.

I've been seeing very similar posts on the Facebook pages about issues with the Stillen CAI.

Seems like there is a lot of people pissed at Stillen.

Reactions: JJRO

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts

I wonder if the problem would resolve itself if you switched back to stock. As some have stated, it could be an issue that is already present but made worse by the installation of the CAI. Since you've felt the issue first hand, I'm curious if you might still feel it (to a lesser degree) if you went back to stock.

Either way, I'd listen to the tech for now. If your transmission craps up (and there's a lot we still don't know about the robustness of it), Infiniti may take the easy way out and void that warranty. I doubt Stillen or any other third party would come to your aid to fix your transmission in the event of a failure leaving you on the hook for the fixing/replacement costs.

Let us know what you decide and if you still feel the transmission acting up if you switch back. Also, on a side note confirm with your service tech if a note was made in your dealership file that you had a CAI installed (and try to get them to remove it if they did).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I removed the Stillen intake and installed the stock back on this morning. I do miss the turbo spooling sound. Also, I am not sure if it was psychological, but I think I did feel an improvement in acceleration and power with the Stillen system.

I will give everyone an update in the next few weeks if the transmission jerk/thunk thing happens again.

In the meantime, I guess I am going to sell the Stillen intake system on e-bay. Even if the transmission thunk happens with the stock intake, I've decided to stay with stock. If anyone is interested in purchasing the stillen, PM me.

The service department at my dealership is actually extremely decent and cool about. They did not make any mention about the Stillen intake system being on there. He emphasized that they would do nothing to jeopardize my warranty claims with Infiniti because they want a happy and satisfied customer.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
The service department at my dealership is actually extremely decent and cool about. They did not make any mention about the Stillen intake system being on there. He emphasized that they would do nothing to jeopardize my warranty claims with Infiniti because they want a happy and satisfied customer.
THIS!

This is how customers should be treated. Not like morons (despite sometimes deserving it), not like outcasts or punks or criminals.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
So something hasn't been sitting well with me about everyone leaning towards the CAI as the root culprit in the tranny's jerkiness. I'd say what you experienced Zen is on the rather extreme side of jerk and in all fairness I think you're right to pull the CAI for the time being. But compared to what I've felt with mine that sort of 'ouch' feeling hasn't occurred on acceleration ever for me on the interstate. So what's bothering me about the idea that the CAI is causing the tranny to buck is that this tranny, the same 7AT that's been in the coupes since the G37 came out, has always had a bit of roughness around it's edges. I even went over to the myG37 forum and found references to this transmission doing the same thing as far back as the 2010 models. Bottom line, I think the CAI is only exacerbating a common trait that these transmission have had all along. Now is it bad for the transmission? That's a rather slippery question because I don't think I've heard many owners in the G37/370Z/Q50 blowing their trannys with CAI's, granted the VR30 blocks are young bloods in this pedigree. However, I feel like although the 7AT is a bit of a raw animal with its shift points, it sort of has proven it can take it for the most part. Now let me be clear I'm not saying we shouldn't worry about this at all I think we all should keep and eye on it and continue to theorize, but I for one just can't live without hearing that beautiful spool! LOL

Sorry at work waiting on the closing whistle, just wanted to contribute.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So something hasn't been sitting well with me about everyone leaning towards the CAI as the root culprit in the tranny's jerkiness. I'd say what you experienced Zen is on the rather extreme side of jerk and in all fairness I think you're right to pull the CAI for the time being. But compared to what I've felt with mine that sort of 'ouch' feeling hasn't occurred on acceleration ever for me on the interstate. So what's bothering me about the idea that the CAI is causing the tranny to buck is that this tranny, the same 7AT that's been in the coupes since the G37 came out, has always had a bit of roughness around it's edges. I even went over to the myG37 forum and found references to this transmission doing the same thing as far back as the 2010 models. Bottom line, I think the CAI is only exacerbating a common trait that these transmission have had all along. Now is it bad for the transmission? That's a rather slippery question because I don't think I've heard many owners in the G37/370Z/Q50 blowing their trannys with CAI's, granted the VR30 blocks are young bloods in this pedigree. However, I feel like although the 7AT is a bit of a raw animal with its shift points, it sort of has proven it can take it for the most part. Now let me be clear I'm not saying we shouldn't worry about this at all I think we all should keep and eye on it and continue to theorize, but I for one just can't live without hearing that beautiful spool! LOL

Sorry at work waiting on the closing whistle, just wanted to contribute.
I don't disagree with you at all. This is precisely the reason that I haven't even approached Stillen about getting a refund. I can't quite blame them for this problem.

Obviously my situation is probably unique in that I haven't seen anyone else complain about similar circumstances in the forums/FB. I am not trying to over dramatize the experience but it is such a pronounced and exaggerated transmission THUNK that I just can't imagine it being something that the drive-train will be able to withstand on a long term basis and I don't want to jeopardize my warranty.

Prior to this, I had a G37 for 9 years that had 140,000 miles. Probably had transmission funny business once or twice the entire time I owned the vehicle. I have had Q60 RS400 car for 2 months now and its happened 6 times now. Its just not something I can live with.

I have used Stillen products for quite some time. An intake on the G37, Super charger on my Nissan Xterra. Nothing but good things to say about them. I think its an honorable, reliable and honest company. I hope that a the issues eventually resolves itself with a new ECU program. Until then, I will really miss the turbo sound and the added power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been seeing very similar posts on the Facebook pages about issues with the Stillen CAI.

Seems like there is a lot of people pissed at Stillen.
what fb groups are there for the q50/q60? i'd like to join. i did find the q60 forum page on FB, but that's it thus far.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So I switched back to stock intake on Saturday. I've had close to 200 miles since I removed the Stillen CAI.

I have tried to reproduce the bucking issue (driving at 70-80 mph in automatic standard mode and hitting the throttle and backing off and letting the car shift from 7 to 6th and back to 7th gear) several times but I wasn't able to. The ugly and painful transmission buck has completely resolved and disappeared.

I think other people have hit this issue on the nail. The location, distance to air and orientation of the MAF sensor is completely different in the Stillen compared to the stock intake. It is confusing the sh*t out of our simple minded ECU and sending incorrect readings and causing these nasty transmission problems. I also feel that these problems are more pronounced on the red sport.

Who is to blame? Stillen? Infiniti? Me? What was I thinking? Wanting to milk a $100k GTR out of a $55,000 glorified 2 door Nissan Maxima (Just kidding! Please! No one get upset. Our Q60 is much nicer than a Nissan Maxima )

Should I try to get a refund from Stillen or just sell it on e-bay?

·
Registered
244 Posts
If Stillen takes responsibility for these transmissions issues/admits it is the MAF sensor location that's at fault on these intakes then yeah, get a refund...i'd reach out anyway and explain your situation. Otherwise, eBay is your best bet, assuming you're okay with potentially passing along these issues to another Q50/Q60 owner who might not be as informed of this issue and just looking to snag a CAI on the cheap...

I've pretty much made up my mind that the spool sound is not worth possible drivetrain issues on my ~5 month old RS, so i'm definitely holding off for a different CAI manufacturer or until Stillen releases a V2 CAI that's actually problem-free... :(

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Meh keep it. Stillen will probably come out with a MAF relocation kit and hardware to move the MAF. The car will probably be perfectly fine after that...either that or Infiniti will release an ECU update to better control the transmission shifting intelligence (at the same time they release a 10speed :laugh: ).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently had a similar problem with my RS. I don't remember all the parameters but I believe I was going around 45 when I put the throttle about half way down and it made a bang shifting. I've also had a few times when putting the throttle half way down it hesitated, kind of like it didn't know what gear to shift to. Other than these couple events this car is a beast.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Probably the toughest part of transmission issues is getting the car maker to admit there's an issue. Typically they will deny till a TSB comes out even if inspections clearly show something is wrong, its weird. But of course its easy for a tech or someone from a car maker to tell you a certain quirk is "normal"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts