Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want a Q60 RS, red/black with no Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS). Turns out most cars on lots have DAS...but the dealer found one a couple hundred miles away that they could get. MSRP should have been $59,505 but it came in at $60,595 due to lighted kickplates, puddle lighting and cargo pkg (aka profit enhancers).

Was told that there would be a little room below MSRP but not much...and that my trade in was valued at much less than what I had thought. I thought we'd eventually get past that but didn't. When it was apparent we were not gonna buy talk of a lease developed, and what a squirrely process that was. The $4899 down $499/mo 39 month lease turned into $4400 down and $685/mo...with a final purchase price (if we wanted to by it at end of lease of around $32k)...the total outlay of money during the lease would have been in the $70.5k range...$9k over MSRP. I've just looked at the lease thread on this site and having never leased before I am just befuddled. I am a numbers guy but feel like a dumbass for having no understanding of what is involved in a lease...so bottom line I'm never, NEVER, leasing a car.

Back to buying...I feel like the dealership was not interested in selling the car for much less than MSRP...that's OK if that is their choice. There was also no talk about any program/employee discounts or similar. The new car Manager was off yesterday...so maybe my young likeable salesman had no authority to do anything. I don't want to give up on the Q60RS purchase, but I will give up on that dealer so I'm wondering...is there a dealer that this Forum is affiliated with or recommends?? Or a recommended on-line dealer?? If not, why not develop one...have seen it on other forums and it seems to work pretty well for both sides.

Test...I have read lots of your posts and wanted to pick your "Super" brain (a requirment to be a "Super" moderator I assume ;)) via a PM but I don't have enough posts yet.

Bob

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
29 Posts
We want a Q60 RS, red/black with no Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS). Turns out most cars on lots have DAS...but the dealer found one a couple hundred miles away that they could get. MSRP should have been $59,505 but it came in at $60,595 due to lighted kickplates, puddle lighting and cargo pkg (aka profit enhancers).

Was told that there would be a little room below MSRP but not much...and that my trade in was valued at much less than what I had thought. I thought we'd eventually get past that but didn't. When it was apparent we were not gonna buy talk of a lease developed, and what a squirrely process that was. The $4899 down $499/mo 39 month lease turned into $4400 down and $685/mo...with a final purchase price (if we wanted to by it at end of lease of around $32k)...the total outlay of money during the lease would have been in the $70.5k range...$9k over MSRP. I've just looked at the lease thread on this site and having never leased before I am just befuddled. I am a numbers guy but feel like a dumbass for having no understanding of what is involved in a lease...so bottom line I'm never, NEVER, leasing a car.

Back to buying...I feel like the dealership was not interested in selling the car for much less than MSRP...that's OK if that is their choice. There was also no talk about any program/employee discounts or similar. The new car Manager was off yesterday...so maybe my young likeable salesman had no authority to do anything. I don't want to give up on the Q60RS purchase, but I will give up on that dealer so I'm wondering...is there a dealer that this Forum is affiliated with or recommends?? Or a recommended on-line dealer?? If not, why not develop one...have seen it on other forums and it seems to work pretty well for both sides.

Test...I have read lots of your posts and wanted to pick your "Super" brain (a requirment to be a "Super" moderator I assume ;)) via a PM but I don't have enough posts yet.

Bob
What if I told you I could get that car for you at $695 a month, 12,000 miles per year, 39 month lease, with only $1000 due at signing?

If you want 10,000 miles per year, it would be $677 a month.

If youre interested, PM me. I will do your deal.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I agree with you that leases tend to make my eyes glaze over from all the inner workings of the paperwork, but a bunch of folks on our forums are doing leases so it's just a matter of getting comfortable with the terms I'd imagine.

I think it might be a bit challenging to haggle for a brand new car below MSRP. I don't know what your trading in but I've always approached buying new cars knowing that the trade in value I get from places like KBB is never really feasible. A dealer will ALWAYS low ball you on a trade in since they're focus is what they could make off selling it, so the best you can do is compromise. For example, My G37S was is good condition (I'd say great, but I try to be pessimistic when rating my own cars), and KBB was listing trade in value of around $18K for it. At trade in time we settled on $14,750 which I deemed reasonable since I had assumed I might get $15K for it going in. That doesn't mean that a dealer won't sometimes try to really rob you on a trade in, just be vigilant and reasonable when negotiating and never afraid to walk away (which is honestly the hardest part for me personnal!).

I wouldn't fret too much tho, as you might have just had a newbie sales rep. If you have another dealer try them out or just try another salesman at the one you went to last.

·
Registered
189 Posts
87LtdT, If you have not already done so I suggest doing a web search for the car you have in mind. There are not that many Infiniti dealership options in Indiana so you might even need to go to nearby surrounding states. ( Currently, nationwide, autotrader.com lists 688 RS400's and cars.com lists 654. So, nationwide, there are not really a huge number available. ) Look on the Infiniti national website and see what is available at dealerships nearby. There are RS400's available without DAS in Indiana but maybe not at your closest dealership. The dealership may have a 'working relationship' to obtain the car you want from another dealership, but maybe not. It "may' not be possible to find exactly what you want and you could 'order' one. In my case that is what I did. It took 4 months for it to arrive and the dealership could not assure me that it would not arrive with a bunch of add ons that I did not want. They said that was out of their control. Luckily for me my car arrived exactly as I had requested. Even though I did 'order' it, I was given 1K discount from MSRP. Greater discounts from MSRP are available for non-RS400's. What you want is probably out there somewhere, just not as conveniently located as you would like. Good Luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
87LtdT, If you have not already done so I suggest doing a web search for the car you have in mind. There are not that many Infiniti dealership options in Indiana so you might even need to go to nearby surrounding states. ( Currently, nationwide, autotrader.com lists 688 RS400's and cars.com lists 654. So, nationwide, there are not really a huge number available. ) Look on the Infiniti national website and see what is available at dealerships nearby. There are RS400's available without DAS in Indiana but maybe not at your closest dealership. The dealership may have a 'working relationship' to obtain the car you want from another dealership, but maybe not. It "may' not be possible to find exactly what you want and you could 'order' one. In my case that is what I did. It took 4 months for it to arrive and the dealership could not assure me that it would not arrive with a bunch of add ons that I did not want. They said that was out of their control. Luckily for me my car arrived exactly as I had requested. Even though I did 'order' it, I was given 1K discount from MSRP. Greater discounts from MSRP are available for non-RS400's. What you want is probably out there somewhere, just not as conveniently located as you would like. Good Luck!
I got 5,000 off my Red Sport.

The big discounts are 100% possible

·
Registered
189 Posts
Of course, there are many factors that determine how much a dealer is willing to discount. Consider yourself fortunate to be in a situation to get a substantial discount. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Of course, there are many factors that determine how much a dealer is willing to discount. Consider yourself fortunate to be in a situation to get a substantial discount.
100% true. I got 13% off MSRP(on a lease) for my vehicle, and it had to do with the dealership being really motivated to move a RWD variant here in the northeast region.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts

Bob
Wow Bob, that is disappointing to hear. The issue here was the dealership and the salesperson. Not all dealerships are like this but this is saddening. I did all of my negotiation and such via email. Could you let me know where you are located?

My dealership that I used (and negotiated invoice pricing with) is Harper Infiniti in Knoxville, TN. On this forum, we also have @Sinecure who is a salesperson who has helped numerous potential buyers and is on the West coast who may be able to help you out. If you want to contact Harper Infiniti, let me know and I can put you in touch with my contact there (the same one who worked with me the entire way through the process and who I plan to work with again on my next Infiniti purchase).

I'll ping you as well so we can take this offline if you want. Btw, you did very well in walking away. It sucks that you will have to find another dealer but something similar is why I didn't work with Infiniti of Cool Springs in Franklin, TN (and who I don't recommend).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah move on to another dealership. Also go to a place that buys cars like Carmax or Webuycars.com and get a sales quote. Resale values are up. **** I got $4,000 from Carmax for my 2002 G35 Coupe in February 2017. Also ask the sales guys here in forum if u can buy a car from them and have it delivered at your local Infiniti Dealership.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks, but I can't really help with anything outside California.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
With regards to leasing, if you can negotiate the purchase price, then establishing the lease payment is a matter of knowing the Infiniti Monthly Money Factor and the Residual %. With these values, you can figure out the Principal portion & Interest Portion of your monthly payment. Add in your local sales tax, and Principal + Interest + Tax = Total Monthly Payment.

Infiniti also allows Multiple Security Deposits. If you have up-front money available to use for Cap Reduction, I encourage people to use MSDs instead. Each MSD reduces the monthly money factor, which lowers the interest portion of your payment. In addition, at the end of the lease, the amount of the secuirty deposit(s) are return to you. See link for good explanation:

Find Out The Benefits of Multiple Security Deposits | Napleton INFINITI of Tallahassee, FL

As for updates to the latest Money Factors & Residual %'s, see this link specific to the 2017 Infiniti Q60:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/42409/infiniti/x/2017-infiniti-q60-lease-questions

If you run out of luck in Indiana, and decide to try out-of-state, PM me and I'll give you my sales person contact info.

Reactions: Morpheus

·
Registered
500 Posts
Too bad this wasn't a hybrid otherwise some people here could quality for a credit from their employer. Its one thing some people forget. Cars like this tend to attract people working in tech

·
Registered
42 Posts
I walked from my Infiniti dealership where I purchased my three previous Infiniti's. They turned over the entire sales staff and most of the service writers except for the girl with the hot body. The kid salesman who I worked with just was not very service orientated and would not listen to me. In December I ended up going 45 miles away to a dealership that was all about customer service. The first thing I told them is that I am a CPA and I want complete transparency. They showed me their internal lease calculations and they matched what I had already calculated. Same Money Factor and residual and monthly payment based on the negotiated price. With of course zero down. Never put money down on a lease. If something happens to the car (totaled or stolen) the money down is gone.

I told them what I wanted. A loaded RS with Black on Black without carbon fiber. They went through the U.S. inventory with me and could not find one. They ended up finding two on the factory floor in Tochigi and had one rerouted to their dealership. It took 12 weeks to take delivery. I love my Q60 RS. I have not seen any on the road and I live in the Chicago area.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too had trouble finding one w/o DAS, but I got one w/o it -keep looking at dealer inventory online and find who has the car in your area

·
Registered
148 Posts
off topic

infinitiq50org used to have way more active lease deals thread ...or I just can not find right one?
(And yes - I stopped stopping by after "password complexity" was upped :D )

·
Registered
199 Posts
........ I feel like the dealership was not interested in selling the car for much less than MSRP...

I had a similar experience with a dealership not wanting todeal much at all I’d love to out here in name but I won’t bother.

I expressed extreme interest in the car in the Fall of lastyear. Was told they could not order the Red Sport yet. I asked for a phone callor email when ready to start placing orders. I never did get a call back oremail even after a couple trips in for a test drive of the non-RS400, which Ididn’t mind too much since I’m sure they are very busy but other carmanufactures would always contact me asking me if I was still interested aftereven just soft inquiries by me.

Time came to finally start talking numbers and they said ‘maybewe can make a deal without much mark-up’. I asked for clarification on thatwith the comment I wasn’t going to pay MSRP certainly nothing above MSRP. Theycame back with this car is so new they consider actually marking up the MSRP.

After I scoffed at that we got down to making offers and theend result was them making a final offer with an example of a car they recentlysold to a “friend of the owner” and that price was a few hundred off MSRP. A “friend”of the owner, huh? I guess the owner likes screwing his friends.

I ended up ordering a car with another dealership over emailfor almost 5k off with ceramic tint thrown in. It was the most pleasant buyingexperience I’ve ever had. Email. I want to drive the car to that other dealershipand show them how they lost my business but it’s not worth my time.

Funny how two dealerships can be such polaropposites. I would think all Infiniti dealerships would be willing to deal toget these cars on the road because all I see are Lexus, BMW and Audi.Everywhere. I can’t drive 30 seconds without seeing a Lexus but in six monthsof looking I have yet to see a single Q60 on the road and only a small handful ofInfinitis in general. It is very clear from my perspective who is selling themost cars in this category. I’m ranting off topic now….

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's really down to dealership management and how flexible they want to be. Some won't budge and would want to profit as much from buyers as possible while others will make less but sell more volume. Sometimes I think they forget that walking away is an option for us.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Every dealership is different, that is why I never take what 1 says. I will shop until I find a dealer that will give me the price I will pay and I won't budge. I can wait them out, lol!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts