Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 400 have that annoying exhaust sound found on the G37 models?

I like some exhaust note pitch but not fast n furious style. Suttle like an M4 is preferred.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Honestly it's pretty quiet. I has a nice quality sound, but it's not loud at all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It depends on which drive mode you choose. Sport + mode has a deeper, sweeter growl that standard mode.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
What do you mean by piped and artificial? Trying to learn, also debating buying the RS400 ?
The sound in certain modes is artificially enhanced via the speakers in the car. It's called ASC. It is possible to disable it along with ANC if you choose to but it requires going into the developer settings of the InTouch system which is actually pretty easy to do.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
What do you mean by piped and artificial? Trying to learn, also debating buying the RS400 ?
The sound in certain modes is artificially enhanced via the speakers in the car. It's called ASC. It is possible to disable it along with ANC if you choose to but it requires going into the developer settings of the InTouch system which is actually pretty easy to do.
ACTIVE SOUND ENHANCEMENT

The active sound enhancement generates
sounds according to engine speed and
driving modes through the speakers *2
and *5 (if so equipped) to enhance the
quality of the engine sound.

p. 5-148 Starting and driving

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/cont...60_Coupe/2017/2017-q60-coupe-owner-manual.pdf

Reactions: Z74Q60

·
Registered
189 Posts
Flipping the switch between standard and sport quite noticeably changes the "exhaust sound". Nissan engineers are trying to save you the expense of that rowdy aftermarket exhaust. At least it makes me 'feel' sporty! :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Flipping the switch between standard and sport quite noticeably changes the "exhaust sound". Nissan engineers are trying to save you the expense of that rowdy aftermarket exhaust. At least it makes me 'feel' sporty! :)
They're just trying to play nice with the EPA :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Man, I've been waiting for this hack since the day I read about the piped-in exhaust note. Now that I have the car, it's so annoying.

Has anyone done this on an RS? Just tried it, but can't get into the self diagnosis screen. Looks like he just holds his thumb under the arrow for a few seconds on the settings screen. No go for me.......

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Here's a better vid Qx4Cor:

https://youtu.be/PE1dPmBPkg4?t=2m

Turns out audio needs to be off, and you press and hold on the screen after hitting the seek button 3 times. I don't know if the car needs to be in ACC mode but that might be something to try if this doesn't work.

Let us know how it turns out.

Addendum, the good stuff starts at the 2 min mark....vid edited. Hopefully it starts at the 2min mark now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
So nearest I can tell I want to keep ANC on for a quieter ride and ASC off because screw fake exhaust noise?
Turn the ANC off too so the car will be loud as F-U-C-K :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here's a better vid Qx4Cor:

https://youtu.be/PE1dPmBPkg4?t=2m

Turns out audio needs to be off, and you press and hold on the screen after hitting the seek button 3 times. I don't know if the car needs to be in ACC mode but that might be something to try if this doesn't work.

Let us know how it turns out.

Addendum, the good stuff starts at the 2 min mark....vid edited. Hopefully it starts at the 2min mark now.
Thanks testrage. This one got me there. Car needs to be running, then follow his instructions. ANC/ASC is on the 3rd page. I didn't like that it's called Active Sound Enhancement but coded ASC rather than ASE, but I went for it. Car now has no artificial exhaust note, which is actually kind of sad, as you can REALLY understand how underwhelming the true tone is. Glad I've ordered and exhaust.

2 little things. They're little, but like many of you I'm pretty picky about my cars. Also, I wasn't thrilled with going into the computer myself, so I was easily spooked, lol.

1- At the end of the video, when he is on the main screen and presses the back icon for the final time (after the lengthy video of him getting into every menu), the screen goes black, then resets as if the car were just turned on. The Infiniti icon shows up, etc., etc., etc.. When I did it, the screen just stayed black. I waited about 20secs and turned the car off. Turned it back on, everything was normal and no fake exhaust. But.....
2- about a mile down the road, the low tire pressure icon starts blinking. I'm obsessed with air pressure, as being in Maine it fluxuates so greatly, so tire pressure is on my screen between the tach and speedo as the default. I noticed no reading on the rear drivers side. After a few miles, I pulled over. Tire was fine. Shut off the car. Restarted it and the icon was flashing. Drove a few miles. Icon stopped flashing but stayed on Now neither rear is showing pressure. Drove home. Pissed. Manually tested psi. All good. Went out that night to grab dinner. Light flahes, drive a few miles, stops flashing, stays on. Now no visible pressure on either drivers side, but both passengers sides. Now I'm upset. Got up this morning assuming I'd be taking a ride at some point today to the dealership. No flashing light. After a few miles, all pressures show. All set. Did some running round doing errands today. Car started and shut-off several times, all seems well.
I got an e-mail after I got home the initial time, from Infiniti. The flashing of the icon means straight up malfunction in the unit, not just low pressure, which is only a solid icon. Clearly this seems "cleared up", but bugs me a bit as I don't think it was a coincidence that I went into the computer and had this issue within minutes. The fact that the video is from a 2016 Q50 makes me assume the programming is a little different or,has been updated. I have a pretty good relationship with the head tech at my dealership ,and will shoot in the next time in the area. I'll show him what I did, and let him know about the tpms acting weird for a few hours. He'll check it out for me.

I will say, it's worth it to me. The fake note really bugged me. Also, I defiantly left the ANC on. I'm a smoker, so the window is cracked a lot. The ANC keeping the stereo volume where I want it alone makes it a nice little fixture.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Thanks testrage. This one got me there. Car needs to be running, then follow his instructions. ANC/ASC is on the 3rd page. I didn't like that it's called Active Sound Enhancement but coded ASC rather than ASE, but I went for it. Car now has no artificial exhaust note, which is actually kind of sad, as you can REALLY understand how underwhelming the true tone is. Glad I've ordered and exhaust.

2 little things. They're little, but like many of you I'm pretty picky about my cars. Also, I wasn't thrilled with going into the computer myself, so I was easily spooked, lol.

1- At the end of the video, when he is on the main screen and presses the back icon for the final time (after the lengthy video of him getting into every menu), the screen goes black, then resets as if the car were just turned on. The Infiniti icon shows up, etc., etc., etc.. When I did it, the screen just stayed black. I waited about 20secs and turned the car off. Turned it back on, everything was normal and no fake exhaust. But.....
2- about a mile down the road, the low tire pressure icon starts blinking. I'm obsessed with air pressure, as being in Maine it fluxuates so greatly, so tire pressure is on my screen between the tach and speedo as the default. I noticed no reading on the rear drivers side. After a few miles, I pulled over. Tire was fine. Shut off the car. Restarted it and the icon was flashing. Drove a few miles. Icon stopped flashing but stayed on Now neither rear is showing pressure. Drove home. Pissed. Manually tested psi. All good. Went out that night to grab dinner. Light flahes, drive a few miles, stops flashing, stays on. Now no visible pressure on either drivers side, but both passengers sides. Now I'm upset. Got up this morning assuming I'd be taking a ride at some point today to the dealership. No flashing light. After a few miles, all pressures show. All set. Did some running round doing errands today. Car started and shut-off several times, all seems well.
I got an e-mail after I got home the initial time, from Infiniti. The flashing of the icon means straight up malfunction in the unit, not just low pressure, which is only a solid icon. Clearly this seems "cleared up", but bugs me a bit as I don't think it was a coincidence that I went into the computer and had this issue within minutes. The fact that the video is from a 2016 Q50 makes me assume the programming is a little different or,has been updated. I have a pretty good relationship with the head tech at my dealership ,and will shoot in the next time in the area. I'll show him what I did, and let him know about the tpms acting weird for a few hours. He'll check it out for me.

I will say, it's worth it to me. The fake note really bugged me. Also, I defiantly left the ANC on. I'm a smoker, so the window is cracked a lot. The ANC keeping the stereo volume where I want it alone makes it a nice little fixture.
Yup, that's exactly why I'm careful about jacking with ****, especially if using old info.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yup, that's exactly why I'm careful about jacking with ****, especially if using old info.
Meh, yeah. I'm pretty cautious, but got impatient. When I picked the car up last month, I asked the tech about shutting off the artificial exhaust note. He had no idea it existed, even though he had taken the RS training. I wanted it off, so I figured it out. The dealership is only 20mins away, so now that I know the codes, and where they appear, I can just shoot over there and have him hook up his computer to make sure everything is kosher.

Next is shutting off the top nav screen when I'm not using it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts