Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a new Q60 and considering joining the car enthusiast community with this car. If money is not a concern, what performance options are worth getting?

In example;
"red alpha cold air intake"
"sports exhaust with external resonator"
"Sport exhaust kit"(specifically these two exhaust options)

I'm completely new to cars and I'm trying to figure it out but some of these I feel like I need someone's help with.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If money is not a concern, get the Red Sport.

As for performance bolt-ons, skip the AMS Intakes on the stock tune - the stock airboxes flow very well. You'll need a tune to get maybe 15 HP from the addition of the AMS Intakes.

As for exhaust, I'd recommend the Fast Intentions CBE (resonated). For the price of the FI CBE vs Sports Exhaust Kit, you'll get more HP & TQ, and it sounds great, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting the redsport. And more interested in performance and sound.

Also, Iridium, I thank you very much for your reply, but I'm afraid even what you are saying (which I'm sure is dumbed down) is too advanced for me to understand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also, Iridium, I thank you very much for your reply, but I'm afraid even what you are saying (which I'm sure is dumbed down) is too advanced for me to understand.
This language is thrown around here a lot. Maybe I can help clear some things up.

AMS is a manufacturer of aftermarket parts for the Q60. They are an official partner of Infiniti so you know quality is good. Among other things, they make cold air intakes for the Q60. While they look cool, you won't see much of a performance increase unless you also tune the ECM, or Engine Control Module to optimize their performance.

Fast Intentions is another manufacturer and they make a CBE, or cat back exhaust system. This is THE CBE to put on the Q60. EVERYBODY wants a FI CBE. If you can afford it and can patiently wait the 6 to 8 weeks it takes to make and deliver, then get it. A CBE will open up the exhaust to allow the engine to "breathe" better. It also sounds awesome. Iridium compares it to the sport exhaust made by Infiniti, which I have on my car. It is an axle back bolt on, and though it sounds great, it doesn't give as much HP, or horsepower, and TQ, or torque and a full CBE. Someday I will get the FI. It's on my wishlist.

The biggest performance increase you can make is a tune. This will change how your car's computer does things. You've got two types of tunes. A piggyback tune is a computer module that plugs into the car to intercept and change signals like boost and air fuel ratios. That's about it. This is contrasted by a ECU flash, or actually reprogramming the car's computer to do things differently.

Almost everyone will tell you to swap out the heat exchanger, or radiator, with one of the few aftermarket units available and to add the expansion tank if you can. Heat soak can really affect the Q60. Meaning when it gets hot, it gets slow.

I hope this helps to clear some things up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This language is thrown around here a lot. Maybe I can help clear some things up.

AMS is a manufacturer of aftermarket parts for the Q60. They are an official partner of Infiniti so you know quality is good. Among other things, they make cold air intakes for the Q60. While they look cool, you won't see much of a performance increase unless you also tune the ECM, or Engine Control Module to optimize their performance.

Fast Intentions is another manufacturer and they make a CBE, or cat back exhaust system. This is THE CBE to put on the Q60. EVERYBODY wants a FI CBE. If you can afford it and can patiently wait the 6 to 8 weeks it takes to make and deliver, then get it. A CBE will open up the exhaust to allow the engine to "breathe" better. It also sounds awesome. Iridium compares it to the sport exhaust made by Infiniti, which I have on my car. It is an axle back bolt on, and though it sounds great, it doesn't give as much HP, or horsepower, and TQ, or torque and a full CBE. Someday I will get the FI. It's on my wishlist.

The biggest performance increase you can make is a tune. This will change how your car's computer does things. You've got two types of tunes. A piggyback tune is a computer module that plugs into the car to intercept and change signals like boost and air fuel ratios. That's about it. This is contrasted by a ECU flash, or actually reprogramming the car's computer to do things differently.

Almost everyone will tell you to swap out the heat exchanger, or radiator, with one of the few aftermarket units available and to add the expansion tank if you can. Heat soak can really affect the Q60. Meaning when it gets hot, it gets slow.

I hope this helps to clear some things up.
Thank you very much. This does clarify things quite a bit.
So basically the options are only worth it if you are not getting these upgraded parts?

And what about the r-spec break pads? Worth it or just buy elsewhere?

And one last question, this FI CBE, is it wake up the neighborhood loud?

The stock redsport is almost completely silent and I'd like to have a little more noise. However I live in a very quiet community and I'd prefer not to disturb the peace. As long as it's loud enough to hear but not obnoxiously loud.

I'm looking at the video posted by Fast Intentions but it's so hard to tell from a recording.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a FI CBE on order and it should be here in the next 6 to 7 weeks. I am currently running the FI Lower Down Pipes, aka secondary catalytic converter delete or test pipes, and the Infiniti non-resonated sport exhaust, basically just two pipes that replace the stock trash can sized axle back exhaust. It sounds pretty good but I'm looking for just a little more refinement which is why I choose to go FI CBE.

I'll be removing the Infiniti Sport Exhaust in the next few weeks and will have it up for sale pretty cheap compared to a new unit. If you are interested just let me know and we can work something out. Oh and the tips are painted in high temp black instead of factory "chrome" or stainless.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sound System -- I would get a custom bass box built with a couple JBL's and put in the most forward part of the Trunk. The Sound system is pretty good but it all depends on what you are accustomed to having before. You could upgrade the sound system further but suggest you live with it a few and determine if necessary and when...

·
Registered
760 Posts
And what about the r-spec break pads? Worth it or just buy elsewhere?
The R-Spec pads have increased bite over the OEM pads, but they also dust alot!

And one last question, this FI CBE, is it wake up the neighborhood loud?
Choose the 14" round muffler option and the resonated option (I assumed AWD in this instance):

This is what I have, and have had it installed on my '17 Q60 Red Sport since January 2017. It is not a "wake-up the neighborhood" loud. Still has a nice tone during acceleration and doesn't drone on the highway.

Reactions: shamilton273

·
Registered
6 Posts
Similar situation as Velharri, but starting with 2018 3.0T Luxe. What order do y'all think modifications make the most sense (subjective but want to hear some perspective)?

Some considerations:
  • Springs/Coilovers
  • Exhaust system
  • Tune
  • Head Exchanger
  • Intake
  • Etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you're doing a piggyback tune like the jb4 (awesome btw) then do that first. If you want do the ECU tune, do it after installing your other hardware. With the ECU tune you should be making adjustments after every hardware modification. You don't have to. It will just save you a bit of cash from having to retune.

Otherwise, do what you want first. You want to slam it. Slam it. You want to give some throat, repipe that exhaust. You want to make it fly. Go strap a flux capacitor to that b' and hit the g' man.

·
Super Moderator
2,823 Posts
thanks for all that. sounds like the flux capacitor will be the first mod 🤣
All the cool kids are dropping a 6.2L LT5 in their Q's

Reactions: shamilton273

·
Registered
760 Posts
My driveline-associated mod order (chronologically) is as follows:
  • FI LDPs & CBE
  • JB1, which became a JB4 w/BT
  • AMS HE
  • AMS Intakes
  • FI Full DPs (Catted)
  • Ecutek Tune by SpecialtyZ
  • StopTech BBK
  • BMS Pedal Tuner
  • Stillen RSB & SPL End Links
  • RS-R Active i C/Os & SPL Suspension Bits (see sig)
And I've just about burned-down the tread on the stock Dunlop RFTs (25k miles).

New rolling stock (wheels & tires) coming soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some would argue that if you have some AMS parts might as well go with the package and tune not only because of synergy but also since the tune integrates all components.

Any thoughts on piecing together vs. AMS package?

Is it like having an all adidas tracksuit?

·
Registered
81 Posts

As for performance bolt-ons, skip the AMS Intakes on the stock tune - the stock airboxes flow very well. You'll need a tune to get maybe 15 HP from the addition of the AMS Intakes.

As for exhaust, I'd recommend the Fast Intentions CBE (resonated). For the price of the FI CBE vs Sports Exhaust Kit, you'll get more HP & TQ, and it sounds great, too.
Why the resonated? FI just shipped my non res CBE, pretty excited but also curious if I made a mistake going unresonated and sport mufflers. :unsure:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Some would argue that if you have some AMS parts might as well go with the package and tune not only because of synergy but also since the tune integrates all components.

Any thoughts on piecing together vs. AMS package?
I got my '17 in December 2016, when there was very little aftermarket, including tuning, and no packages. Heck, Burger Tuning only had the archaic JB1 in mid '17, so I was building/modding as the aftermarket released their products.

For today, if you are not comfortable with a la carte upgrades, then buying a package is the better option. It all depends on what your goals are and how long you plan to keep your Q.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Why the resonated?
I take long drives with the wife all over the PNW. Resonators don't reduce power and help reduce drone.

FI just shipped my non res CBE, pretty excited but also curious if I made a mistake going unresonated and sport mufflers. :unsure:
When I bought the FI CBE back in early 2017, there was only the 14" Muffler option. As for the non-resonated CBE, if you thinks it makes too much drone, you could always pair the FI CBE with the HKS Resonated LDPs (replaces the secondary cats)

Note: When I recently did my suspension upgrade, once the shop had installed the rear C/Os and the interior panels were still out of the car, they drove the car down the road to a CarToys, which put in a Dynamat-equivalent Sound Deadening throughout the rear cabin, trunk, and doors. Now I might need 10" Sport Mufflers... LOL

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

+1 all of that. I really, really like the FI exhaust. I debated and debated resonated versus not. I don't regret the resonated one I got. sounds great and made a big difference in the usability of the Burger piggyback.

·
Registered
760 Posts
+1 all of that. I really, really like the FI exhaust.
That's awesome - another satisfied FI customer.

The only compliant I ever hear is "but it's 6-8 weeks lead-time..." What folks don't understand is FI is a small business, and if they start stocking inventory, it ties up money, along with inventory space (which they don't have much of, as I have personally witnessed).

Reactions: JonnyB
1 - 20 of 26 Posts