Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone added a set of gold rims onto their Q60, not my cup of tea. What's your Q60 sitting on?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ordered my Q60 RS AWD a month ago and realized it comes with the same wheels as a Q50 Red Sport. Since the RWD has different wheels on the front (245/40-19 ) versus the rear (265/35-19) the optional wheels from Infiniti are not available (only for the AWD). I am watching close custom wheel sites but no one is offering any replacements / upgrades. Don't really want to experiment with seeing what will physically fit and who wants to get brand new tires for customers wheels to I can put them on a brand new vehicle.

Seems AWD vehicles are shipped to the northern states while RWD's are sent to the west and south. For everything I have researched any car with AWD has the following disadvantages;

1) Higher clearance or height reducing drag coefficient
2) Larger turning ratios
3) More weight
4) Less zero to 60 and 1/4 mile performances
4) And more technology that wears out / go wrong / defective.

Appreciate others opinions and looking forward to some customer wheel options.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Seems AWD vehicles are shipped to the northern states while RWD's are sent to the west and south. For everything I have researched any car with AWD has the following disadvantages;

1) Higher clearance or height reducing drag coefficient Not apparent with this model
2) Larger turning ratios You'll find the turning radius is quite good
3) More weight Yes
4) Less zero to 60 and 1/4 mile performances 0-60 in 4.6 seconds is pretty quick for AWD
4) And more technology that wears out / go wrong / defective I've had Audi's with Quattro for years, and if you perform normal maintenance (fluid changes in the transfer case/differentials), then higher maintenance cost doesn't materialize until you are well over 125-150k miles, where inevitably weepage will occur at the driveline seals.

Even where it doesn't snow, a high-horsepower AWD is preferred over rear-wheel drive because the power can be effectively applied to four wheels, which reduces wheel-spin and helps maintain control in sub-par traction conditions (i.e., light rain)

Appreciate others opinions and looking forward to some customer wheel options.
See my responses in red.

Reactions: 1701-64D

·
Registered
90 Posts
From what I've seen in reviews the AWD models tend to have better 0-60 times by a few tenths but I imagine the 1/4mile is worse, the reason the 0-60 is better is you have 4 wheels to apply power to in order to launch the car from stationary instead of 2 trying to push 2 that are dead weight. The height difference is a half an inch, the turning radius difference is 6 inches, and the weight difference is about 160lbs in an almost 2 ton car anyway, a little over 4% increase.

As far as things to go wrong well I got the extended warranty on mine and I'm not sure how much longer past that I'll be keeping it, frankly even without AWD in the mix the number of things that can go wrong on these cars once out of warranty is staggering and in 7-8 years self driving cars will probably be a lot more commonplace and a digital chauffeur sounds neat.

·
Registered
308 Posts
From what I've seen in reviews the AWD models tend to have better 0-60 times by a few tenths but I imagine the 1/4mile is worse, the reason the 0-60 is better is you have 4 wheels to apply power to in order to launch the car from stationary instead of 2 trying to push 2 that are dead weight. The height difference is a half an inch, the turning radius difference is 6 inches, and the weight difference is about 160lbs in an almost 2 ton car anyway, a little over 4% increase.

As far as things to go wrong well I got the extended warranty on mine and I'm not sure how much longer past that I'll be keeping it, frankly even without AWD in the mix the number of things that can go wrong on these cars once out of warranty is staggering and in 7-8 years self driving cars will probably be a lot more commonplace and a digital chauffeur sounds neat.
It's not really because you're pushing two dead wheels with the back two, but it's because of the amount of power you can apply to the road and actually utilize for a launch. Put too much on the rear and it'll spin. Put a lot more on all four and it'll drop the power down and kick off with no issue. That's why AWD cars can 60 foot like beasts and requires a much better setup RWD car to be able to keep up. But on the top end, with all of the power being divided, the RWD car will blow by.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Q60 AWD only kicks in when required. It keeps the power 100% to the rear unless it's needed up front, and it can send 50% forward.

The GTR has the same setup, and you can actually watch it on a torque split meter on the dash. After using AWD to get off the line, it's almost always 100% rear in a straight line. Once you start cornering, AWD will kick in, but that actually is a benefit.

·
Registered
500 Posts
adding to that for all we know the Q60's system might have a lot of tolerance, meaning we can probably push the system to its peak without worry. one of the great things about having an Infiniti or anything from a japanese car maker.

they had plans for a higher performing Q60, if this AWD system is really that great then we should see it in that model with changes to complement the increase in overall performance.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Q60 AWD only kicks in when required. It keeps the power 100% to the rear unless it's needed up front, and it can send 50% forward.

The GTR has the same setup, and you can actually watch it on a torque split meter on the dash. After using AWD to get off the line, it's almost always 100% rear in a straight line. Once you start cornering, AWD will kick in, but that actually is a benefit.
That's one of the reasons I am going AWD this time around. Off the line you have an AWD coupe, but after that, its RWD, so should be pretty good performer.

·
Super Moderator
2,077 Posts
That's one of the reasons I am going AWD this time around. Off the line you have an AWD coupe, but after that, its RWD, so should be pretty good performer.
I like going WOT coming out of turns and so I prefer AWD myself. Additionally, we get a bunch of ice in the hills here so having AWD helps a little. Our winter facilities are severely lacking compared to up north.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I like going WOT coming out of turns and so I prefer AWD myself. Additionally, we get a bunch of ice in the hills here so having AWD helps a little. Our winter facilities are severely lacking compared to up north.
We have very similar driving styles,lol, and it tends to rain alot here.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well that just explains it even better as to why the AWD is the ultimate option for this :|

The only thing I can think of that's a "drawback" is more pieces to break ? That's pretty much it.

·
Super Moderator
2,077 Posts
Well that just explains it even better as to why the AWD is the ultimate option for this :|

The only thing I can think of that's a "drawback" is more pieces to break ? That's pretty much it.
And the added weight. But Nissan's ATTESA system has been around in some form or another and that too in high hp applications for decades. There's no one else I would trust more when it comes to AWD systems...not even Audi (although their current Haldex based AWD systems suck while the original Quattro was awesome)

·
Registered
90 Posts
These cars already have a million things that can break and none of them are going to be particularly cheap to replace, adding one more thing isn't going to significantly increase your problem rate with these cars once out of warranty.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I mean.. some pieces are drastically cheaper than others though. Rebuilding a rear diff or transfer case or whatever isn't the same as a broken tie rod end.

The weight is definitely something to take into consideration, but it'll sure help with traction.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Weight is not something we can get around unless we do some serious weight reduction but what we can do is up performance in terms of power, suspension, braking. At least that way we can ensure it will be light on its feet. Plus who really wants to gut the whole interior and do all that crazy stuff?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks like we've gotten away from the intent of this thread, which was to discuss potential wheels that would fit the '17 q60. I'm having the same predicament, as even TireRack is completely blank right now with options.

I'm personally looking for an 18" setup for winter tires, but am limited to searching sites using the info we do have (5x114.3 bolt pattern, below offset info).

Size Offset (in mm)
19 x 9J 1.57 (40)
19 x 9J 1.46 (37)
19 x 9.5J 1.73 (44)

Has anyone successfully found aftermarket rims that work, and if so, can you point us to what you found?

·
Registered
19 Posts
@snikt21 Yeah those are great but for us in the US they aren't available.

Anyone in the states with aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anyone in the states with aftermarket wheels?
I have a set of Vossen VFS1's that I am waiting to put on. 20x9.5 and 20x12. The rear most likely wont fit but I am going to see what I can do to make them work. I just need a day that isn't -10 degrees lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts