Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else on here get the wheel and tire insurance with their Q60?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Pretty sure I did. I was going to see if I could go non-staggered and buy a second set of front wheels for the rear. Over $900 a piece at dealer cost, so I didn't buy the wheels, but pretty sure I got the insurance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep. And I work at the dealership - so I almost never buy things in the finance office. So far I'm coming out ahead. I don't recall the exact cost, but it's less than $20/mo added to lease. I've had one flat and two scratched wheels. That's almost $800 reimbursed already. It isn't easy to keep 19" wheels rash-free for 40K miles. I scraped the first one in first 100 miles.

The best part is that all three incidents (two scratches, one tire) were done at my dealership so I didn't even have to fork out any money. They direct billed the insurance. Depending on your plan and where you bought it, you may have to pay and then submit to insurance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I did way too much reading about the terrible ratings of the Run Flats that are on the AWD's. The Q50 site is full of horror stories. Apparently, a modest pot hole can take out the tire and wheel all too easily. At least that is the info out there. I inquired at the dealership and they agreed there was an issue and that one Q50 owner held the record for 8 blown tires. I asked where to sign!! The tires are about $550. a piece from the dealer and the wheels, per Bevo Horn, are $900. each, which makes the insurance look cheap. The plan I got covers not only the original tires but any subsequent tires for the next 7 years.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I got it for about $20 per month. Living in NY is a must to have it for these low profile run flat tires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It seems that the stock all season run flats are terrible. Not only in terms of dry/wet/snow traction, but also forming bubbles, breaking and needing to be replaced so the insurance seems like a must. Lots of people are getting rid of the SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT's and getting better non run flats. Will the insurance cover replacement of different tires?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
It seems that the stock all season run flats are terrible. Not only in terms of dry/wet/snow traction, but also forming bubbles, breaking and needing to be replaced so the insurance seems like a must. Lots of people are getting rid of the SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT's and getting better non run flats. Will the insurance cover replacement of different tires?
As long as they're not more expensive than the tires you originally had insurance on, it should.

Reactions: Z74Q60

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I know I got it. Think it was like $800 or so before I added the dent/ding package as well which pushed it up to $1,100. Well worth it imo given the peace of mind. I spoke with them about my plan to replace the tires eventually with AS3+ (and whether they would cover it as well in the event of a blowout, etc and not force me back to rfs) and whether they would also cover repainting the wheels (which they painted black for me) and I was told both would be covered with no questions asked.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I usually avoid additional warranties, but I got this one.
Yeah, that stuff usually sounds like snake oil to me. But in this case, it actually seemed reasonable given the replacement cost of everything else.

I reasoned it out this way; you can't replace one tire if your wheel/tire on one side gets damaged. You have to replace both (especially with AWD vehicles). Heck, depending how much tread you have, you might even have to replace all four tires. The RFs run around $400/tire which works out to around $1,600 for all four tires. The wheel is probably $1k with Infiniti's seriously high mark-up. So you may have to spend $2k to $3k in the event of a single blowout that damages the wheel. Not including labor, new TPMS if needed, alignment, etc).

Plus since my wheels were painted (and that cost $600 total), I may be able to leverage this insurance to repaint all my wheels in a year or 2 if they start to look somewhat nasty (I hope). :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sucks to hear these tires don't hold up. On kind of the same note, anyone know the widest tire size that can be put onto the RS wheels for both front and back?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep. Got the insurance too. A no brainier at $1000K given the prohibitive replacement cost of those crappy Dunlop. Why, tell me why Infiniti did not put Michelin PS3 on this Amazing Car?!?!?... They're even about $200 less each!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, that stuff usually sounds like snake oil to me. But in this case, it actually seemed reasonable given the replacement cost of everything else.

I reasoned it out this way; you can't replace one tire if your wheel/tire on one side gets damaged. You have to replace both (especially with AWD vehicles). Heck, depending how much tread you have, you might even have to replace all four tires. The RFs run around $400/tire which works out to around $1,600 for all four tires. The wheel is probably $1k with Infiniti's seriously high mark-up. So you may have to spend $2k to $3k in the event of a single blowout that damages the wheel. Not including labor, new TPMS if needed, alignment, etc).

Plus since my wheels were painted (and that cost $600 total), I may be able to leverage this insurance to repaint all my wheels in a year or 2 if they start to look somewhat nasty (I hope). :D
As Testrage points out some circumstances could force you into 4 new tires. The AWD system is apparently very sensitive to even slight variations in the four tires. I actually believe that was one reason there is no spare for the AWD version, no chance of the customer sticking something on there that wipes out the AWD system and then wants it replaced under warranty.

Reactions: testrage

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wow, didn't think the AWD system would be that touchy to the point where even the tire tread at all four wheels matter. At that point, may as well spring for the tire insurance, but would they cover replacement tires because of general wear?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would think that normal wear is 'on you'. But apparently, if you have say 10K miles on the tires and have a blow out with one of them, you just can't put a new tire on with significant wear on the other three. The AWD can't handle such things. No personal experience, just what I have read. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone used their protection policy yet? I just purchased a Q60 RS but am on the fence about buying this package. Dealer said it's usually $1,000 but could do it for $900 ... looks like others here have paid much $800 or less! I never had an issue with my '14 Q60 but have only read negative stories about these RunFlats on the new one!

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Has anyone used their protection policy yet? I just purchased a Q60 RS but am on the fence about buying this package. Dealer said it's usually $1,000 but could do it for $900 ... looks like others here have paid much $800 or less! I never had an issue with my '14 Q60 but have only read negative stories about these RunFlats on the new one!
I haven't had to yet. The pricing is dealer dependent since it is 3rd party insurance essentially but I'm sure you can negotiate it lower if you decide to get it. The rfs do suck....I plan on switching to non-rfs whenever the rfs need replacement (unless it's premature failure that is covered by the protection policy).

My understanding is the policy will cover my replacement tires as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Think the All-season dunlop RF are really terrible. The summer version SP SPORT MAXX 050 DSST CTT (whew! does the tire name have to be this long?) isn't particularly spectacular but it isn't bad either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've repaired two scratched wheels and had one tire replaced. Zero cost to me. Just scratched wheel again - I'll get it fixed next time I need something from the service department.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I haven't used mine yet but after a couple months I have a tiny, barely noticeable scratch on one wheel. You can bet I'll get all scratches repaired before the time runs out. Hmmmm, how long does the insurance last, 4 years?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts