Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, does anybody have any part number for locking wheel lug nuts for the 2017 q60?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
When I get home I'll check to see if there's a parts number on the bag they put the 4 standard lugs in that were removed for the locking lugs

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you referring to the OEM wheel locks or aftermarket? It is hard to find aftermarket lug nuts for these wheels because they are of the "Mag Wheel Type' with the attached flat washer for the 2017 Q60 RS400 AWD. I am in the process of ordering the Gorilla Lock system (Gorilla Automotive 73623T -- 12mm x 1.25) from Summit Racing. I prefer the Gorilla Lock type because of the circumferential key lock rather than the OEM key that grabs on the end of the nut. The OEM locks are pretty strong compared to the old days when all you had was the Cal Custom locks that use to tear out. My only concern is that the dimensions of the shank and the purchase depth are slightly off, but the technical support person at Gorilla Automotive stated that this lug was commonly used for Nissan/Infiniti wheels without the conical seat. He mentioned that the lug nut should catch at least 12 threads to have adequate strength. By my measurements and calculations the OEM lugs catch about 13.5 threads and the gorilla nuts catch about 12 threads.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
That p/n (999W2-JT000) is what I show on the mag style locking nuts I got as well. But I've already switched to black chrome aftermarket spline lugs.

I've used Gorilla lugs in the past and have no complaints but went with Accuwheel LNS-12125B6 this time because I wanted a 24 pack so I'd have spares. I've also used Gorilla "the system" lugs in the past (have them on the GTR) but planning to switch everything of mine to the Accuwheel lugs which will work with our wheels no problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am not quite sure I understand your switch to the AccuWheel Lugs. The Gorilla Wheel Locks and the OEM locks on my RS 400 are the "Mag Style with attached flat washer." The AccuWheel LNS-12125B6 is a narrow acorn type with a conical seat. Unless you have a different style of wheel, the "Mag Style" is required, because the only part of the lug that grips the wheel is the flat washer part.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I am not quite sure I understand your switch to the AccuWheel Lugs. The Gorilla Wheel Locks and the OEM locks on my RS 400 are the "Mag Style with attached flat washer." The AccuWheel LNS-12125B6 is a narrow acorn type with a conical seat. Unless you have a different style of wheel, the "Mag Style" is required, because the only part of the lug that grips the wheel is the flat washer part.
My understanding in talking with my detailer was that the cone style would work fine on the OEM wheels. I've used the conical seat style previously with no issues on OEM Nissan wheels.

I honestly don't know if the mag seat lug nut is really required for our wheels but I can't say I'm knowledgeable enough to say that they aren't. I do know that there are no 12x1.25 black mag lugs on sale anywhere that I can find.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The wheels that came with my AWD RS 400 do not have any cone seats to accept a conical lug nut. The wheels on my AWD RS 400 are the all gray ones (gun metal?). Perhaps the black and chrome wheels which I have seen on some of the other non-AWD Q60's have conical seats to accept the acorn lug nuts.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
The wheels that came with my AWD RS 400 do not have any cone seats to accept a conical lug nut. The wheels on my AWD RS 400 are the all gray ones (gun metal?). Perhaps the black and chrome wheels which I have seen on some of the other non-AWD Q60's have conical seats to accept the acorn lug nuts.
I doubt it. It wouldn't make sense for Infiniti to have different styles. I'll switch back to the OEM mags today to avoid any issues (thank you for explaining the differences to me, I appreciate it and learned something new). I don't want to take any chances. I just wish someone made a set of 12x1.25 mag style lugs. All the black chrome ones I saw were 12x1.15 which wouldn't work.

I considered painting them and throwing on a few coats of enamel but that wouldn't help for long and would require too much upkeep. So I guess I'll just stick with chrome :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
You are correct. I could not find black Mag Style 12mm x 1.25 lug nuts either, otherwise I would have ordered them. I suppose if you really wanted to paint the chrome lugs, I would advise that you use some sort of self-etching primer such as Dupli-Color DAP1690 or DPP101 to promote adhesion before painting. Unfortunately these self-etching primers are not available in black. And probably an acrylic lacquer is preferable to an acrylic enamel, because enamels tend to be too hard/brittle. Regardless of what you choose to paint the lugs, most likely nothing will prevent the paint from chipping at the edge of the lugs at the point of contact with the lug wrench socket. I would imagine the best way to make black lugs would be to find a welding shop that also has a powder coating setup. You would have to make up a jig that is electrically conductive to all the lugs being coated, not to mention the threads would have to be sealed off. This all sounds expensive and way too much trouble to get black lug nuts though. Like you, I'll just stick with chrome lug nuts.

I am getting off the track here, but you may or may not be interested to know why I am familiar with self-etching primers and adhesion promoters. The reason is that I am attempting to paint the chrome trim around the Q60 front grill to reduce the visual appearance of the grill size. I my opinion the grill on the new Q60 is just way too big. It does not fit the size of the car. The size of the grill looks OK on the larger Infiniti vehicles but sticks out as being disproportionate on the smaller Q60. It seems as though the Nissan/Infiniti designers got carried away with the chrome CAD design pen. I think the designers watched the Transformer movies too much. Perhaps I am just use to the size of my old G35 grill. I considered having the grill trim wrapped or Plasti-Dipped, but I did not think the color match would be close enough. I didn't think the Infiniti Black Grill would be any advantage, because that would still emphasize the size of the grill. I actually purchased an Infiniti Black Sport Grill ( F23105CB1A) upon which to practice painting. Oddly, it is just a chrome grill trim that Infiniti painted black. Also the grill color itself is a slight darker metallic shade.

Anyway the Gorilla Lugs should be arriving this week.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I am getting off the track here, but you may or may not be interested to know why I am familiar with self-etching primers and adhesion promoters. The reason is that I am attempting to paint the chrome trim around the Q60 front grill to reduce the visual appearance of the grill size. I my opinion the grill on the new Q60 is just way too big. It does not fit the size of the car. The size of the grill looks OK on the larger Infiniti vehicles but sticks out as being disproportionate on the smaller Q60. It seems as though the Nissan/Infiniti designers got carried away with the chrome CAD design pen. I think the designers watched the Transformer movies too much. Perhaps I am just use to the size of my old G35 grill. I considered having the grill trim wrapped or Plasti-Dipped, but I did not think the color match would be close enough. I didn't think the Infiniti Black Grill would be any advantage, because that would still emphasize the size of the grill. I actually purchased an Infiniti Black Sport Grill ( F23105CB1A) upon which to practice painting. Oddly, it is just a chrome grill trim that Infiniti painted black. Also the grill color itself is a slight darker metallic shade.

Anyway the Gorilla Lugs should be arriving this week.
I went with the black sport grille and think it suits my personal taste. I agree that the grille is on the larger side but I'm ok with the way it looks even if it makes the car look like an "angry bird". I'm debating whether to get rid of the last remaining bits of chrome trim around the windows and on the door handles but haven't decided yet what direction to go. From a modification standpoint, I'm pretty happy with what I've gotten done so far and think the only things I may still do would be new exhaust (Infiniti branded), maybe front windshield clear tint (keep changing my mind on this one), and blacking out the remaining chrome. If Infiniti releases a warrantied CAI, I may go that route just so I can hear those turbos spool (I love the sound of turbos spooling; they sound like a jet engine getting ready for take-off in the GTR).

I'm curious about the Gorilla lugs and if they present any value add over the OEM lugs. Are they keyed differently by any chance?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I understand your question, the Gorilla Locking lugs are keyed on the sides of the lugs as opposed to the OEM locks that are keyed on the ends. And if you order the "System," every lug is a security locking lug. It's a more uniform appearance and a better look.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
If I understand your question, the Gorilla Locking lugs are keyed on the sides of the lugs as opposed to the OEM locks that are keyed on the ends. And if you order the "System," every lug is a security locking lug. It's a more uniform appearance and a better look.
Oh I didn't realize "Gorilla Automotive 73623T" was a "system" version of the mag lugs from Gorilla. I thought they were the same as the regular OEM ones. Let us know how well they work...I'm wondering if they won't make it more difficult to install/remove them because I'm expecting them to be wider than the standard mag lugs.

While putting the OEM ones back on this morning, I realized there wasn't much room in the recess for the lugs on each wheel. So I'd be concerned the "system" lug key/driver might scrape the inside of the wheel lug recesses.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I received "The System" Gorilla Wheel Locks, and as I suspected from the published specs the threaded shank is slightly less in external diameter (0.065" smaller) and slightly shorter in shank depth (0.10"), but they still catch about 12 and a half threads on the studs. The Gorilla Automotive tech stated that catching more than 12 threads is superfluous. I guess the specs are still OK, the lugs just look a little "less beefy" than the OEM lugs, but that's just my unscientific opinion. I don't really know if the type of steel is comparable in strength or better than the OEM lugs. I assume that since wheel locks are their main business, that they extremely aware of the lug tensile strengths. I also don't know if the lugs on the less powerful Q60's are any different. I know that on my 2005 G35 they were of the typical conical acorn style.

This brings up another point. Does anyone know the reason why Infiniti decided to switch to the "Mag Style" lug nuts? Especially since it seems as though vast majority of wheel locks and lug nuts are of the conical "acorn" type? Is there some performance or endurance issue of which I am unaware? I sure makes purchasing alternative wheel lugs more difficult.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
FYI: I just installed a set of the chrome McGard mag-style locks #21153 on my Q60, and they fit perfectly. I'm new here, so not able to post pics or links yet, but if interested you can go to the McGard web site for a look-see. Hope that helps.
~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts