Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Wider Rear Tires on Stock 19" Rims

25K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  NINaudio 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, been lurking for a while but couldn't seem to find the exact answer I've been looking for so decided to finally join the forum. Got a large piece of metal in one of the rear tires going to need it changed out. Stock tires are pretty lacking in performance and was wondering if it's feasible to change out the back two to something wider. If I keep the 255's on the front and switch the rears out to 275's would that work out? What would you guys recommend regarding rear tire size and which specific tire? Currently got the stock 255/40RF19'S on right now. Feedback much appreciated!

-18' 3.0t rwd lux (nonredsport)

#5 · (Edited)
@Validproof, can you take it to a tire shop and see what they say?

I used a basic tire calculator (https://tiresize.com/converter/) to check the rolling diameter/width etc. It's usually not recommended to go more than 1% different in rolling diameters (can cause issues with AWD setup if you have AWD and will also mess with your speed reading - speedometer cannot be adjusted by your dealer...I checked when I went to a slightly larger rolling diameter).

The stock 255/40/19 should have a 10" width & 27" rolling diameter). A 275/35/19 tire would have a rolling diameter 1.5% lower (so I wouldn't recommend) while a 275/40/19 tire would be 2.6% higher (not personally recommended either).

I would recommend trying to fit a 285/35/19 instead if you can. Michelin's tires tend to be slightly smaller from what I've heard so it might be possible to fit a Michelin 285/35/19 tire on the stock wheel.

You have other options (see the screenshot attached). Let us know what you decide.

TL;DR - 275 tires may fit but may also cause mechanical, driveline, etc issues if the front sizes stay stock. A 285 tire might be a better option with the stock front tires

Attachments

#6 ·
I wonder why on the 2018 Q60 RS, RWD which comes with the factory staggered setup the tire configuration are:

255/35/20 rolling diameter of 27.0
275/30/20 rolling diameter of 26.5 negative 1.9%

When I bought my new wheels, I configured it as follows:
255/35/20 rolling diameter of 27.00
285/30/20 rolling diameter of 26.7 - negative 1.1% which is closer to equal rolling diameter than stock.

I can choose a 295/30/20 tire which will be completely equal if I chose to but then you get into higher tire prices. One of the downsides of staggered setup is that you cannot rotate your tires so you will be changing them often.

#8 ·
@testrage Thank you for the useful information. So if I understood correctly, going with the 285/35/19 on the back would only be a diameter difference of 0.4% which should be fine since it is less than 1%. My car is Rwd so there shouldn't be any of those problems that the awd models would incur right? Also looking on tire rack there are so many variants of Michelins in that size not sure which one to go with. I live in Southern California where it's basically summer all year round except for the occasional rainfall. Any suggestions for which summer tire to go with?

#9 ·
I think it should be fine. Since you are in Cali, I'd go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. It's one of the best new tires from Michelin with pretty good dry and wet traction.

It's also the successor to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (MPSS) which I had on my GTR and were all kinds of awesome (had a couple sets over the years)

#11 ·
Bro do yourself a favor and upgrade to michelin pilot sport 4 s tires. I have a 17 red sport and the stock tires had 11–2k miles on them and whenever I punched it I’d just spin through second gear. I prematurely upgraded to Michelin pilotnsport 4 s’s and it was night and day. My launches out of first and second just take off. I’ve done intake and exhaust but just the tires alone have been the best money spent on performamce period. Just my opinion.
Hey guys, sbrbhbfbdrevdvdebeen lurking for a while but couldn't seem to find the exact answer I've been looking for so decided to finally join the forum. Got a large piece of metal in one of the rear tires going to need it changed out. Stock tires are pretty lacking in performance and was wondering if it's feasible to change out the back two to something wider. If I keep the 255's on the front and switch the rears out to 275's would that work out? What would you guys recommend regarding rear tire size and which specific tire? Currently got the stock 255/40RF19'S on right now. Feedback much appreciated!

-18' 3.0t rwd luedsport)

#14 ·
According to a couple of online tire/rim size charts, the 295/30x19 tire should be mounted on a 10"-11" wide rim. I think the Q60 RS rim is 9" or 9.5" wide....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.