• Straight dual exhaust pipes

Votes: 2 40.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I recently got custom cat-back exhausts on my car. But I'm not happy with the sound so I'm considering to add either and X pipe or true dual straight pipes

I'm curious to know which of the 2 sound better and produce more power (hp and torque). I've heard that x pipes sound decent and produce more power at higher rpms. And I've also heard that true dual straight pipes sound louder and produce more power then X pipes. What is everyones opinion about which is better for a Q60 3.0 premium?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry I don't have any answers, but why would an X pipe produce more power? Wouldn't additional joints provide more restriction? Maybe I don't understand how exhaust works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Each exhaust pipe is basically assigned 3 cylinders, and the cylinders alternate exhausting down each pipe, each exhaust cycle causes a pressure wave to follow down each pipe, imagine these waves as being offset and traveling at the speed of sound down each pipe. The X pipe connects the two exhaust pipes allowing for each offset wave to travel down both pipes instead of just one effectively doubling the volume of the pipe beyond the connection and also doubling the effective muffler volume for each pulse as well. How this effects a particular engine is hard to say as exhaust dynamics is a complicated subject and bigger isn't always better depending on the engine design it may want or need a certain amount of back pressure for optimal performance and changing the exhaust system will change the amount of back pressure on the engine and may change where that optimal performance is.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_exhaust

·
Registered
327 Posts
MotorTrend did a test on this and noticed there really wasn't much difference if I remember correctly between true dual, X pipe, and even H pipes in terms of power. Don't quote me on that but you can check the video out on their Youtube channel.

But sound is going to be really relative to your personal preferences so it's hard to decipher which is "better"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MotorTrend did a test on this and noticed there really wasn't much difference if I remember correctly between true dual, X pipe, and even H pipes in terms of power. Don't quote me on that but you can check the video out on their Youtube channel.

But sound is going to be really relative to your personal preferences so it's hard to decipher which is "better"
This is the video you are referring to:

Have to keep in mind that they test it on a V8 5.0L Naturally aspirated engine not a V6 3.0L twin turbo
Video basically says that straight pipe produces less power then H and X pipe. X and H pipe produce identical power. But they all said how X pipe sounds the best (not louder).

Again big V8 5.0 N/A vs. V6 3.0 twin turbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts