Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
See link below... poster says that coolant exploded and caused a wreck

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPsY1NmALm1/

Anyone else hear of this or any other issues??
I wonder if this is one of the cars that has the potential timing belt issue. Word is that there were a number cars produced (up until mid-December if I remember right) where the timing belt can literally fly off under WOT.

I tried to look closely at the pics and it appears the belt is off so I think this might be related to that issue. Infiniti has not officially recognized it as an issue (and has not put out a TSB for it), but they have replaced a few engines in Q50s where the timing belt came off on the 3.0T engines.

It has been limited to the 3.0T engine so far. Given the 2.0T has been out for a while (at MB before Infiniti), I don't expect that to have very many issues.

The thing to remember with all this is that the 3.0T engine is still brand new and issues will come up in a brand new car. The thing to focus on is how Infiniti handles it.....wow this post ended up being a mouthful!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The VR30DDTT engine has a timing chain.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I tried to dig up the post and fix on fb but didn't ave enough time to scroll through every post back to December when I think it was posted.

Old habits are hard to break..I still call anything timing related a timing belt....:)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
The pic looks like the drive belt

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Just remembered I had saved a screenshot of the fix for the affected 3.0T engines. See attachment. All credit goes to the original poster from FB.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Just remembered I had saved a screenshot of the fix for the affected 3.0T engines. See attachment. All credit goes to the original poster from FB.
So the A/C pulley may be out of alignment on some models?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Supposedly on 3.0T engines built before sometime in mid-December.
Well you'd think that owners of affected units would be contacted if their vehicle left the dealership without having the pulley re-aligned.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Well you'd think that owners of affected units would be contacted if their vehicle left the dealership without having the pulley re-aligned.
The problem if I understand it correctly is that Infiniti has refused to recognize it as an issue so far but has quietly paid up for replacement engines. Most dealers are useless with this kind of stuff without an active recall or TSB issued.

The best way to force an OEM's proverbial hand is to report every issue to the NHTSA. Every additional complaint gets even more of Nissan's attention. No OEM likes to issue recalls since it decreases residual value and affects consumer confidence but if some engines are failing at WOT, then I'd be more concerned about my customer being put in a potentially dangerous situation if I were them.

Disclaimer: All this is based on my experience in automotive and my opinion as a consumer :D

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
The problem if I understand it correctly is that Infiniti has refused to recognize it as an issue so far but has quietly paid up for replacement engines. Most dealers are useless with this kind of stuff without an active recall or TSB issued.

The best way to force an OEM's proverbial hand is to report every issue to the NHTSA. Every additional complaint gets even more of Nissan's attention. No OEM likes to issue recalls since it decreases residual value and affects consumer confidence but if some engines are failing at WOT, then I'd be more concerned about my customer being put in a potentially dangerous situation if I were them.

Disclaimer: All this is based on my experience in automotive and my opinion as a consumer :D
It doesn't appear to be a defect. It appears that the A/C pulley wasn't aligned to spec on the assembly line. Not any different than a wheel being out of alignment.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
It doesn't appear to be a defect. It appears that the A/C pulley wasn't aligned to spec on the assembly line. Not any different than a wheel being out of alignment.
Definitely not a defect but definitely an issue that doesn't seem to be getting the attention it should.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Not to sound like a troll, but if the misalignment was done at the assembly line and said misalignment caused the belt failure which led to potential loss of control of the vehicle, then would that classify as a safety defect based on the following from the NHTSA?

The United States Code for Motor Vehicle Safety (Title 49, Chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety as “the performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring because of the design, construction, or performance of a motor vehicle, and against unreasonable risk of death or injury in an accident, and includes nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle.” A defect includes “any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.”

I guess if the assembly line process wasn't considered part of a car's construction this wouldn't apply. Also I'm not quite sure how the belt caused the coolant to burst which in turn caused control loss, so if anything one could call the pulley misalignment an assembly defect at the very least right? Sorry, slow day at the office, just keeping occupied.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Not to sound like a troll, but if the misalignment was done at the assembly line and said misalignment caused the belt failure which led to potential loss of control of the vehicle, then would that classify as a safety defect based on the following from the NHTSA?

The United States Code for Motor Vehicle Safety (Title 49, Chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety as “the performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring because of the design, construction, or performance of a motor vehicle, and against unreasonable risk of death or injury in an accident, and includes nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle.” A defect includes “any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.”

I guess if the assembly line process wasn't considered part of a car's construction this wouldn't apply. Also I'm not quite sure how the belt caused the coolant to burst which in turn caused control loss, so if anything one could call the pulley misalignment an assembly defect at the very least right? Sorry, slow day at the office, just keeping occupied.
That drive belt also turns the water pump and the alternator. He didn't lose control of the car. He lost cooling. Drive belts have been known to wear and break over time. That's not a defect.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts

LoganB, I don't think it's a design defect but I think it's an assembly issue which I personally think still qualifies it as something that can be reported to the NHTSA. But that's my opinion.

I'd be po'd if I was on the highway, hit the gas hard and ended up having everything go to **** on me while I was in 70mph traffic. If that isn't a safety issue, I don't know what is...:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I'd be po'd if I was on the highway, hit the gas hard and ended up having everything go to **** on me while I was in 70mph traffic. If that isn't a safety issue, I don't know what is...:confused:
Since the drive belt only turns the Water pump, Alternator, and Air conditioner compressor, I think you'll be ok.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Not when the motor overheats and takes a crap because the water pump died.:|
That's why there's a check engine light and coolant temperature gauge. **** happens and it's good to be aware so you can pull over before damage is done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts