Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
its sounds like this : Q60RS - Turbo problem / off ???
may be a different issue that i have. I dont need to turn off my car to fix the issue. It only seems to be intermittent and happens on vary rare occasions where im applying at least 50% pedal and try to put the power down very fast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its only a guess, but I dont think the metal shavings in the truck is connected to the lack of power issue. I do recall when i open the trunk i have heard some small noise of something rubbing/grinding as the trunk is almost fully open.... maybe the metal shaving is connect to that. I havent open the truck again to really investigate, so this is all speculation. assuming the shavings is not related to the lack of power issue, im not overly concerned with the metal shavings

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,207 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m starting to realize the issue is only occurring for me after about 20-30 minutes of hard driving , ie hard accelerations ( I only drive in sport+ Automatic mode FYI ). although it IS winter time here. And the temp gauge shows normal. Is there a way I can verify if it’s heat soak?

note that there have been times that may coincide with the lack of power/boost issue where I can smell a very hot metal smell from under the hood. I had an Infiniti tech check for issues from the hot meta smelland he said it may be due to break in and to come back if it still does it after 500 miles on the odometer. I’m now at 1200 miles and just realized on rare occasions ican still smell the hot metal smelll.

Is there a way I can verify if it’s heat soak? Or Shoild I just take it back to the Infiniti dealer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry, one more... I know very little about cars...
if it was heat soak wouldn’t the temp gauge on the dash show that it was really hot??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Watch the first four minutes and thirty seconds of this vid. This sounds like the issue I’m having.

Thoughts??? Maybe there’s nothing really wrong with my car?

·
Registered
2019 Q60 Rs I-line Mods Infiniti A/B Hks LD Ams H/E Ams Intakes Ams tune 91- ACP Seq turn signals
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey rs ...the metal smell may indeed be as a result of break in for example the cats ...exhaust etc ...I have 16000 km now and after spirited driving it does smell a little like metal ...it would eventually go away..

the issue you are experiencing may also be due to ECU pulling timing ...our cars do indeed run hot..especially with the small heat exchanger...if you are only experiencing the issue after driving aggressively then in my opinion that’s the cause. However I remembered in earlier post it happens after initial start up.

that being said you can buy a bluetooth device that plugs into the obd port to read certain parameters on the fly...for eg blue driver ecu tek etc. They read coolant temp charge air maf etc

I have recently installed the ams heat exchanger lower dp and intakes ...the heat exchanger does indeed make a huge improvement ..with the charge air..but I still experience The same issue... but now I just have to add a bit more throttle and it goes away...also I have recorded all the temps when experiencing the issue and it wasn’t due to high charge temps or coolant.

on a side note check your oil regularly...driving hard with 0w-20 tends to decrease the cars oil capacity...I have to top it off every two weeks .

It seems as though our issues is very limited.
I’m getting tuned next week would report if that solved the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thx Trevis. When u say my issue maybe due to the ECU pulling timing, you’re actually referring to heat soak, correct?? ( Still learning)

I haven’t seen my lack of power issue after start up, not that I recall anyways. It’s only been after spirited driving of ~20 minutes or more.

also, “charge air” refers to the air temp in the turbos which is connected to a potential heat soak issue, correct??

thx again for the replies. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here’s an update on my car...
So the issue happened again the other day, 15 min of spirited driving and the turbos weren’t kicking on as early as they normally do (ie I felt the lack of power). So I turned the car off and immediately turned it back on (I did it at a red light ), and all the power came back. Turbos started kicking in early like they normally do.

Knowing this, doesn’t this mean it’s NOT an issue with heat soak or too hot of charge air in the turbos?? If yes, wouldn’t this point to a tuning issue?

·
Registered
2019 Q60 Rs I-line Mods Infiniti A/B Hks LD Ams H/E Ams Intakes Ams tune 91- ACP Seq turn signals
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here’s an update on my car...
So the issue happened again the other day, 15 min of spirited driving and the turbos weren’t kicking on as early as they normally do (ie I felt the lack of power). So I turned the car off and immediately turned it back on (I did it at a red light ), and all the power came back. Turbos started kicking in early like they normally do.

Knowing this, doesn’t this mean it’s NOT an issue with heat soak or too hot of charge air in the turbos?? If yes, wouldn’t this point to a tuning issue?
It’s possible it may have something to do with the tuning ... it’s just trial and error at this point... if after you restarted and everything came back to normal then it’s nothing to do with heat soak or charge air ....for me restarting doesn’t stop the problem ...only if I park overnight it does....I have removed the metered air flow sensor yesterday and replaced them with two new ones from the dealer 730 bucks Canadian ...just for the sensors...today I’m going for a long drive and see if it makes any difference...the difference in temps at the intakes is still there but the air flow seems more consistent..if not would return and go ahead with tuning and report back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update that didn’t solve the problem...however heard a weird noise coming from the engine ...felt the fuel line going to the hp pump and it was pulsating not sure if that’s the characteristic of the pump? Other than that final option is the tune. Sigh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update that didn’t solve the problem...however heard a weird noise coming from the engine ...felt the fuel line going to the hp pump and it was pulsating not sure if that’s the characteristic of the pump? Other than that final option is the tune. Sigh.
What didn’t solve ur problem ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just an update! To whoever was following this thread...The issue appears to be with the tuning with the Ecu.

After the ecu was re-flashed the issue has yet to present itself...its been over two weeks now and regardless or driving habits you step on the gas and it behaves normally.

although the flashing was done by a tuning company the same should be with the dealer using the most updated software.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts